Thursday, October 7, 2010

Not just a life raft...

Our Daily Bread
I appreciate the fact that God is there for us to hold our hands during tough times. I don't know how I would have gotten through some of the toughest times in my life without God -- cancer, heart disease, diabetes, eye issues, etc. God is a sure and true friend and a source of strength during these times.

I don't want to be a "bad weather Christian". To me, this means that the only time I hold God's hand is during the scary parts of life. I challenge each of us to do our best to hold God's hand each and every day. We are all like little children crossing the street for the first time. We need his hand.

I liked the line in the scripture that said (Deut 31:6): "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." When we hold God's hand every day, we have nothing to fear.

Lord, I need to hold your hand each and every day. Please help me to never let go.

Technology Thursday
Like I said many times, I am a technology gadget geek. The entry this week is about home phone systems.

I know a lot of folks don't have a home land line any more. They just use their cell phone for all calls. I am not sure I am comfortable with that yet since all of my family lives away from me. I don't get that many calls so I could probably get rid of it to save some money. I need to think about that more. ;-p

One of the things I bought many years ago was a cordless phone "system". My house was built around 1970, so there aren't that many phone jacks around. It always seems that they are never in the right place! My phone system only needs one phone jack. The other handsets feed off of that one connection. The other four handsets can be placed anywhere there is an electric outlet. How cool is that! I can place them in rooms that don't have a phone jack or in places where a phone jack is not convenient.

What are some of the characteristics to look for? Here are a few.
DECT 6.0
DECT 6.0 is the latest technology for consumer home phone systems. Phones on this frequency rarely interfere with other signals in the house, like wireless networks. The calls are usually crystal clear. The handsets usually have a good range around the house. I can talk on mine outside if I want with no problem. Very cool.

Central address book
One system I had included a separate address book for each handset. Yikes! I was always running around the house trying to find the handset that had a saved number for a friend or relative! Double yikes! Many of the new systems have a centrally managed address book. If you add a new phone number to the address book on one handset, that number will show up on all the other handsets as well! Woohoooo! This is very nice and a must have feature!

Price

Home phone systems are available a lot of places like Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, Costco, Sams Club, Best Buy, Walmart, etc. Prices vary a lot. I caught a deal on mine at Office Max two years ago. Keep your eyes open for specials on a system that meets your needs. After you get one, call me! ;-)

Other Stuff
Had a great D2 class last night. I am really enjoying the class.

Another busy day at work planned. I hope to take time to have lunch with the Nationwide Pride group. I am getting to know some folks in the group. I am enjoying that.

Not sure how late I will have to work tonight. I would like to go to a movie after work and detox a little. I need to visit my buddy who had an operation on Tuesday or at least give him a phone call.

Good news! I have been watching my eating habits better this week. I have been keeping my blood sugar levels down while taking less insulin. The next step is to exercise more so I can lose some weight. I really do want there to be less of me and more of God! hehehe

Hang in there, my friends. I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment