Thursday, October 7, 2010

Imagine that!

Our Daily Bread
I was fortunate enough to travel to Honolulu last year with my best friend to celebrate my 50th birthday. It was a wonderful time. We booked the September trip in February. You don't know how many times that I looked at the calendar thinking "just a few more months til Hawaii!". It was comforting thinking about traveling to such a magical place.

The devotional this morning talks about how we can look forward to traveling to the ultimate destination -- heaven. There have been thousands of descriptions of what heaven will be like. Most of us have our own ideas as well of what heaven would be like for us. I know it will be a lot more than my silly idea -- a place where I can eat as many Hoho's as I want and not gain weight! hehehe Jesus told us about heaven to help comfort us and give us something to look forward to especially when life on earth is not so heavenly.

Do you have a relationship with God? Will you be joining his children in heaven?

Lord, thank you for your promise of heaven to your children. Please send your spirit to work in the hearts of everyone to draw them to you.

Foodie Friday
Here are two of my favorite appetizers. The recipes are from a church recipe book published by Walnut Street Baptist Church Choir many years ago. The recipes are for stuffed mushrooms and cheese moons.

Cheese Moons (by Vivian Kreisel)
3 cups pre-sifted flour
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp prepared mustard
1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
Paprika

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, salt, and cheese. Add Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Cut in butter. Knead lightly to form soft dough. Roll a teaspoonful at a time into a ball. Place 2 inches apart on greased bakery sheet. Bake between 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle lightly with paprika. Can be frozen.

These are great for holiday dinners, appetizers or a fancy tail gate party!

Stuffed Mushrooms ( by Belle Workman)
2 lb Mushrooms
3 lbs sausage (mild or hot)
1 lg onion
1 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbs butter

Cook sausage and drain well. Remove stems from mushrooms. Cut stems and onions in food processor. Sauté with 1 tbs butter until onion is done, approximately 3 minutes. Add mushroom stems and onion to bleu cheese, then add sausage. Add bread crumbs to absorb moisture. Mix well. Stuff in mushroom buttons. Bake at 300 degrees for about 5 minutes. Serve warm.

You can substitute shredded cheddar cheese if you really want to, but the bleu cheese adds a unique flavor. I wooed an old flame with these before we went out on a date one night. I guess the way to a man's heart IS through his stomach! Enjoy!

Other Stuff
So this week is FINALLY coming to an end! Woohooooo! I need to relax this weekend. I had WAY too much going on this week at work. I figured out a HUGE problem that has been hanging over me for over two months. I worked with an IBMer to get a great start on my upgrade project. I took in some great bagels from Spinelli's Deli for my coworkers yesterday. Had a great Bible study class on Wednesday. It has been a good week. I am excited to see what next week holds in store.

I have a regular checkup with my family doctor this morning. I am afraid my lab results are not going to be stellar. I am trying to work on that stuff again. I can do it.

Hang in there, my friends! I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment