Sunday, February 27, 2011

A different approach to praise

Our Daily Bread
A close friend of mine and I have a common problem -- we are uncomfortable in receiving a compliment!  I am much better about it now than when I was younger, but I still get embarrassed when someone compliments me.  The "ah, shucks" and red face no longer appear!  hehehe

The devotional this morning talked about a lady that was an inspiration to me when I was in my teens and early 20s.  Her name is Corrie ten Boom.  Take a look at her books some time.  I had never heard about her practice of offering God a bouquet of praise until I read bout it this morning.  How cool is that!  In short, whenever Corrie received a compliment, she offered it up to God in praise.  We haven nothing to offer others unless we receive it from God.  In never thought about it this way.  Sounds like I have a new way to praise God!

Lord, I want to lift up any compliments I receive to you in praise.  Thank you for giving me the strength to be a blessing to others.

Psalm Sunday
This week we look at Psalm 3.  I have to admit that I can't always relate to the Psalms.  As far as I know, I don't have many "foes".  I don't really have many that rise up against me.  THEN, I thought about how intense my feelings are when things don't work out the way I want or a friend lies to me or some health issue arises.  NOW, I understand a little more how overwhelmed that David was at times.  The coolest thing about the Psalms, and this one is no exception, is how the write always turned back to God as his strength and shield. While I do pray for God to deliver me, I really don't pray for the breaking of teeth.  That just ain't right!  :-)


Psalm 3

    A psalm of David. When he fled from his son Absalom.
 1 LORD, how many are my foes!
   How many rise up against me!
2 Many are saying of me,
   “God will not deliver him.”[b]

 3 But you, LORD, are a shield around me,
   my glory, the One who lifts my head high.
4 I call out to the LORD,
   and he answers me from his holy mountain.

 5 I lie down and sleep;
   I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.
6 I will not fear though tens of thousands
   assail me on every side.

 7 Arise, LORD!
   Deliver me, my God!
Strike all my enemies on the jaw;
   break the teeth of the wicked.

 8 From the LORD comes deliverance.
   May your blessing be on your people.


Other Stuff
My left eye is making progress this weekend.  I can focus a little better today.  It is still itching so that is telling me the healing process is well under way.  I am thankful.

I had a full day yesterday even though I didn't mean to.  I ran some errands.  Saw two movies.  Had dinner with fly bear.  Talked to Bubby on the phone.  Worked on my D2 reading.  Today I am going to church, staying for the church dinner, going to grocery, making my traditional Irish salad, and then attending my dinner group this evening.  This is a good thing!

God works in mysterious ways.  Very mysterious.  "I have no frickin clue" mysterious ways.  hehehe  I will see what He has in mind for me next.

Hang in there, my friends.  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment