Sunday, June 19, 2011

Almost any man can be a father, few can be a real dad...

Our Daily Bread
The whole Fathers Day thing has eluded me most of my life.  My mother was married four times.  I never knew my biological father.  I was fortunate to have several father figures in my life over the years.   Most recently, my walking buddy's husband.  I bought him a Fathers Day card this year.  ;-)

So in writing about being a father, I fall rather short...  hehehe  I can say, however, that guys like me can be mentors to young people.  There are organizations, such as Kaleidoscope that offer services for GLBT youth.  There are lots of opportunities for being a father figure even if you aren't a father!

My Heavenly Father, I want to be a witness for you in whatever role I can, including being a father figure.

Special Edition - Columbus Pride Holiday
Saturday was a pretty good day!  There were a LOT of clouds, but they didn't pour down like we thought they would.  There was some light rain about 2:00, after the parade ended.  It was a little sticky with the humidity, but it was not bad at all.  The parade was huge was you can see from the picture of the staging area before the parade started.



I enjoyed marching with the Pride group from my employer.  We had a great group turn out to march with us.  Our goal was 100 folks.  I think we made our goal.  We marched with a 'branded" car.  It was very cool marching past our corporate headquarters representing our company!

Here are some shots of the number of people watching the parade.  OMG!  What a great turnout!

The Pride Festival was enjoyable.  I didn't walk around very much.  I spend most of my time around the CUB (the bears club in Columbus) helping out.  I got to know some of the guys in the club that I hadn't gotten to know before.  It was fun.

I was "gayed out" after we took down the CUB booth.   I went to see the movie The Green Lantern.  I will review that flick tomorrow on my Movie Monday blog entry.

Going to church today and then take it easy.  I need to do laundry and finish a book.  I don't think I will attend Bat n Rouge this afternoon.  Been there, done that.

If you are gay, consider being out and proud.  If you are not, consider supporting any friends or family members who are.  Life is too short to hate.

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment