Friday, June 3, 2011

Was there really a book of Nahum?

Our Daily Bread
Was there really a book of Nahum?  I guess there was if it is in major translations of the Bible!  I was not familiar with it.  It is interesting that it is a follow up to the Jonah story with the city of Ninevah.  Very interesting.

The point of the devotional is that we are each responsible for our own salvation...our own sins and reconciliation with God.  No matter how many times we hear that, it still doesn't completely register.

I started thinking of my sins like I do carbs in my diet.  I eat too many carbs.  I sin too much.  When I eat carbs, i have to take insulin to manage my blood sugar.  I have a joke with my coworkers who ask me "How many clicks will that take?" when they see me eating something that is not good for me.  What if I had to inject myself with something more precious each time I sinned?  What if I had to inject myself with the blood of Jesus to atone for each sin?  Would I be so non-nonchalant about "How many clicks?" or would I really try to minimize my sins (like I should try to minimize my carb intake)? 

I think we should use whatever it takes to get through to each of us to help us be more like Jesus.  How many clicks for you?

Lord, thank you for having a relationship with me.  I want to be the best I can be for you.


Foodie Friday
When I was in my mid 20's, I wrote some "Cooking for One" articles for my church newsletter.  Some thought it was odd that a guy was writing that.  Some thought it odd that a man was cooking at all!  Here are some tips from those old newsletters.

1. Don't treat  yourself as a second class citizen -- cook for yourself as time allows.  Do easy stuff (not necessarily microwave stuff, but that is OK too).  Keep it simple for tasty meals with minimal clean up.
2. Build a reliable list of favorites, then expand on them as you have time.  I have several recipes that I make regularly that I love.  One of them is the chicken-stuffing recipe on the back of a Stove Top stuffing box (though I leave out the veggie succotash...).  I love to make simple things that taste great. 
3. Find at least two cookbooks with recipes you like.  Mark your favorites.
4. Cook with friends on occasion to try new recipes and to have some social time.
5. Eat at the table instead of in front of the TV. 
6. Eat healthy meals instead of skipping meals or eating fast food all the time.
7. Make sweet treats for special occasions only.  I have had periods where I wanted something sweet after each meal, including breakfast!  That is not healthy!

You can cook for one and enjoy it!  I know I do!

Other Stuff
I did a lot of stuff around the house last night.  Mowed the lawn.  Worked on the landscaping a little bit.  Worked inside the house a little.  Read a little bit.  Set the AC to a program on the thermostat.  Lots of fun!

I am taking a buddy out to dinner for his birthday tonight.  Not sure about the rest of the weekend.  I have plans to go to the Clippers game with the Bears (CUB) on Sunday.  Saturday night is still up in the air. 

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment