Tuesday, June 14, 2011

For our own good...

Our Daily Bread
Do you remember hearing this from your parents when you were a child -- "This is for your own good!"  God has many things like that for us, his children, as well.  The devotional talks about the Ten Commandments.

God gave us the Ten Commandments as a basic structure of how to live.  We all know how people are.  God wants us to be different than the rest of the world.  I know I have trouble with this.  I admit that I lashed out at a friend yesterday.  I could have been much nicer and just not contacted him any more.  I was human.  I wanted to hurt him as much as he hurt me.  The sad thing is that I knew just what to say to cut deep.  I asked God to forgive me and to help me forgive myself.  I pray that the person will forgive me as well. 

Being human is who we are.  Being a child of God and following his will for how we are supposed to act helps bring each of us a little more heaven on earth.

Lord, thank you for your instruction.  I want to do my best to follow your ways even though they are foreign to me, a mere human.

Teaching Tuesday
I have been reading the book Stretch out your hand the past few days.  It is a short book, but very intense.  I have been taking time to read it thoroughly since it has meant a lot to me so far. 

I have been struggling what to pray for and how to pray.  I mentioned that in my article last week.  This book talked about how to pray for people and for yourself.  It also talks about discernment.  That was a biggie for me.  Discernment is listening to God to know what to pray for and how to ask for things for yourself and for others.

Another "a-ha" moment is a key about asking for healing.  The book said you can't really ask God for healing if you (or the person you are praying for) is still doing the destructive behavior that caused the issue.  For me, I can't ask God to heal my eyes or my feet or anything diabetes related health issues until I reach out my hand and accept his healing about my eating habits and weight issues.  It just doesn't work that way. 

Most importantly, God wants each of us to be whole.  That means different things for different people.  A great example is the movie Soul Surfer that I saw last night.  The young girl that had her arm bitten off by a shark was able to reach  more people after her accident that she ever did before the accident.  Her wholeness was not physical, but her wholeness of spirit was a shining beacon to many who needed her inspiration.  I know that I was inspired!

What things do you need to ask God for to make you whole?  Think and pray about that this week.

Other Stuff
I saw the movie last night, which God lead me to.  I needed to see that movie last night.  I thank God for his leadership for knowing what I need and when I need it.  I had a nice walk after that.  It was a beautiful night.  I also had a nice talk with my walking buddy.  Our schedules don't sync up this week, so we will try to walk later in the week if possible. 

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment