Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Not gonna bow...

Our Daily Bread
The devotional reminded me of the old song Not Gonna Bow (I am listening to it a few times while I am writing this entry).  It tells the story discussed in the devotional and also includes a modern day story as well.  NO!  We are NOT gonna bow!  hehehe

Despite our best intentions, we all have things that could be counted as idols in our lives (not just American Idol! hehehe).  It could be our jobs.  It could be TV.  It could be a relationship or the search for a relationship. It could be movies.  It could be exercise.  Lots of things.  We first need to identify the things that are idols in our lives.  We then need to say NOT gonna bow to them ANY more.  We can do this!

Lord, thank you for your love and patience with me.  I don't want any idols to come before you!

Teaching Tuesday
God has been speaking to me about some things the past few weeks.  Some of them were hard to verbalize or write about.  I wrote to one friend yesterday about one of the things.  God told me to write about one of the other ones today.

When I was in my 20's I had a terrible fear that has carried through my whole life -- if I couldn't sing, especially at church, would people still like me?  Would they think I was special?  I have been given special treatment because of my singing ability since high school.  It might seem silly to many folks, but it was important to me.

In the process of getting closer to God the past few years, I have not felt like singing as much.  It has not worked out for me to sing that much at church for one reason or another.  Most folks I know at church don't even know that I can sing.  God helped me realize recently that my question has been answered once and for all.  YES!  Yes, people like me even if they know I can sing.  They like me for me, not because of what I can do.

Why is this important?  It is important to me for the development of some parts of my self-esteem.  Those of you that know me even casually can tell I have a lot of self-confidence.  ;-p  There are some areas of my life that are not as strong as others, which is normal.  One area is letting people like me for me and not because of what I can do for them.  I can do lots of things.  God has blessed me that way.

I want to praise God today for finally helping me realize my core self worth.  The part that I have put sort of a facade in front of the past forty years.  Being real is what God wants.  It is what I want.  Praise God!

I share these things to encourage you.  If God can teach this old bear new things, he can surely teach you something if you are open and willing.   Praise God!

Other Stuff
I finished my latest book last night!  Woohoooo!  That one took me a while even though it shouldn't have.  I will start another book tonight.

I fixed a button on a pair of pants last night.  I took a two mile walk.  I should have worked on the lawn, but didn't feel like it.  I rewarded myself by watching an old movie that I found at Walmart the other day -- From Dust til Dawn.  It was a hoot!

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment