Thursday, June 23, 2011

Yet another song...

Our Daily Bread
Yes, I know.  Songs speak to me and I mention them a lot.  At least I don't have garden gnomes speaking to me!  hehehe  The song for today is Empty Me.  God used this song to start my journey down my road to deal with my pride, selfishness and arrogance.  I have to admit that this is a work in progress.  Like everyone, I still have my "Oh no, he didn't!" moments.  I don't always react well in those scenarios.  Yikes!

The devotional talks about pride.  About how humility trumps pride in the kingdom of God.  I was reminded of the wristbands worn by some friends of mine over the weekend.  Apparently there was a VIP tent at the Columbus Pride Festival that had free food and open bar for the folks wearing a VIP wristband.  Imagine how embarrassing it would be to try to enter the tent without a wristband?  That is sort of what Jesus was talking about in his stories.  We should always assume a humble stance in all situations, then let the host lift us to our rightful place rather than being smacked down to a lower place!  Ouch!

Lord, it is hard to be humble.  Please help me be your humble servant and be humble for you.


Technology Thursday
I had an interesting meeting yesterday with some folks from RIM (Research in Motion), the company that makes BlackBerry and Playbook devices.  If you follow the technology news, RIM is getting pounded in market share and stock price due to their lack of devices that are competitive with iOS (iPhones) and Android devices.  They have lost market share and new sales to those two types of devices every quarter in the past 18 months.  Not a good thing. 

I like this company.  I have met several folks from their upper management while representing my employer at customer meetings.  I am sorry to say this, but RIM lives in "they just don't get it" land.  Yes, the new devices they are releasing in the next few months are pretty good -- for 2010!  They will not be that competitive for 2011 or 2012.  Only one of the devices supports the 4G (actually HSPA+) speeds on current mobile networks.  None of them support LTE (Verizon and Sprint's 4G implementation that is faster than HSPA+).  The processors in the high end phones are 1.2 mhz processors while many of the new high end phones coming out from competitors have dual-core processors.  They are spending time and money with "cute" interface tweaks that don't really add much value.  They showed a demo of a new calculator app that had a simulation of a adding machine tape that "tore" off each time the C button was hit.  Wow.  That blew my socks off.  Not! 

I hope they move through "they just don't get it" land soon.  I am not sure they will.  The other problem is that their server software, their bread and butter competitive advantage over the competition is buggy.  We brought that up as our highest priority.

We will see what happens.  I will write about it here.  ;-)

Other Stuff
I have been in movie mode this week.  I will review them all on Monday.  I plan to do stuff around the house and read this weekend.  I may attend a concert at ComFest on Friday night.  A friend plays in a band that I like.  I will let you know what I do.

I had a revelation last night.  Something is going to happen.  Something big.  Not sure what or when.  God is preparing me.  I will do my best to be ready.  I have had this feeling many times in my life.  It can be exciting.  It is a time to trust God no matter where the road leads. 

Hang in there, my friends.  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment