Tuesday, December 13, 2011

REALLY good bread....

Our Daily Bread
When my ex-partner and I got together, we  bought a bread machine.  It wasn't an expensive one, but it got the job done -- sort of.  It did a great job of mixing the dough and raising the dough, however, it had a tendency to over bake the bread each time!  We got in the habit of letting the machine mix and raise, then we popped the bread in the oven for the baking.  It sort of defeated the purpose of the automatic machine!

I can very loosely connect that experience to today's devotional about the feeding of the 5,000.  Just like I had what I thought was a reasonable expectation of the bread machine, the folks who were fed thought they had a reasonable expectation of Jesus -- an automatic bread machine!  ha!  Jesus told them that he didn't come to meet their physical needs, though they were many and he did meet them at times.  He came to earth to meet their spiritual needs like no one else in history!

Lord, thank you for knowing my needs and meeting them over and over!

Teaching Tuesday
The D1 lesson this week is on Comfort.  There are many passages from Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel about the comforting words God sent to the people of Israel after the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple.  It was the beginning of a new understanding of God for Israel -- God didn't exist only in the temple.  God exists everywhere.  There isn't a place in our universe that we can go to elude God!  They started worshiping in synagogues around the known world.  Very cool!

What is God talking to you about?  It may not be a booming voice, rather a still small voice that is trying to talk to you about his presence and your life.  I pray that you can be sensitive to his words.

Other Stuff
I had a very busy evening running errands and doing stuff around the house.  I did laundry.  I got it all done except for the sheets for the guest bedrooms.  Those were dry this morning, so I will make the beds when I get home tonight.  I paid some bills.  I made a few buckeyes to put in my friend's Christmas box.  I finished his Christmas box and mailed it this morning.  I also sent a birthday card to my close friend in Northern Kentucky.  His birthday is on Sunday.

I had a couple of talks with my friend.  He is so sweet to me.  He was concerned that I was staying up too late to talk to him (he is on Central time).  I reassured him that I would sleep when I needed to.  ;-p  I sent his mother a poinsettia for Christmas.  He thought that was very sweet.  We are also talking about when he will visit Columbus next month.  I am very excited about that.  We keep reassuring each other that we are taking things slow.  It is a good thing.

I had a dream trip opportunity come up, but I will wait for a while.  Delta had a Groupon deal for a world tour (at least the Northern Hemisphere) for $10,000 for two people (economy class, or $20,000 for business class).  Maybe some day.

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment