Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Watchers

Our Daily Bread
I loved the TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer during its seven season run.  One of the interesting characters was the "watcher", the person who was responsible for the training and care of the slayer.  It was a huge responsibility.  Yes, I know it was just a TV show!  Really?  hehehe

As children of God, we have responsibility to be "watchers" over our fellow children of God.  How does that work?  Read the passage Acts 20:22-32 for more details.  Yes, there will be some among us who will try to divide us.  We need to be wary of them and pray for them.  We need to be strong for each other.

Lord, I want to be the "watcher" that you want me to be, watching out for my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Teaching Tuesday
The lesson this week talks about the Psalms.  I learned a lot of things I hadn't heard before.  Here are a few highlights.

First, Psalms should be read aloud or sung to better understand them.  Try that with some of your favorite psalms!  Try reading them with the inflection the writer intended or how you would say the words if you wrote them.

Second, I sort of knew that David didn't write every psalm, but I sort of didn't.  Apparently, they were written over hundreds of years, before, during and after the exile of Israel.  Yes, some of them were written by David.

Lastly, you will see after reading several of the psalms that they are the most expressive books of the Bible.  They express a wide range of emotions.  They express the kind of deep, honest conversations that the children of God should have with their God.  They hold nothing back, just like we should hold nothing back.  What is the point?  God knows everything anyway!

My favorite psalms so far are 23, 51 and 100.  Try reading those aloud!

Other Stuff
I had a busy evening getting some stuff done.  The highlight was getting thirty gallons of gas for nothing!  I had enough fuel perks amassed to get a free tank of gas and also filled up my 5 gallon gas cans!  Woohooo!  I wrapped my Christmas presents.  I put laundry away.  I made supper and made some peanut butter blossom cookies (I cheated and used the store bought dough).  I also had a couple of nice conversations with my friend.  I am sending him some more buckeyes for his family to enjoy.  ;-p

I plan to see the movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo tonight.  That should be interesting.

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment