Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Remember the...sailors

Our Daily Bread
My best friend and I went to Hawaii around the time of my 50th birthday.  One of the most moving experiences of my life was visiting the Arizona Memorial!  I guess I wasn't paying attention the day we covered that ship in American History, because I didn't realize they couldn't retrieve the bodies of the men and women lost on that ship!  I got so emotional thinking about all the people who were entombed below the memorial.  They sacrificed their lives so we could be free.

The devotional talks about remembering the sacrifice that Jesus gave so we could have spiritual freedom.  I like the reference to the Lord's Supper as a remembrance.  Very cool.  I think we should also remember Christ's sacrifice by living a Godly life in this ungodly world!  I know I joke about wearing my church tshirt because it means that I have to be nice to people.  hehehe  What if we wore a "I am a child of God" tshirt each day?  We do and we don't even realize it!

Lord, I want to be your light in this world of darkness.  Help me live each day like I am wearing my church tshirt all day long!

Witness Wednesday
I learned some things about the nature of God this week.  I had a friend who was struggling with some of the Old Testament readings he ran across.  It seemed that the God of the Old Testament is not the same loving God as in the New Testament.  We discussed that and, as usual, I gave him my opinion.  ;-p

To me, God has always been the same.  It says that in the Bible.  I think the inconsistencies have been in the way that man has perceived God as we evolved over time.  There are things in the Old Testament that seem barbaric to us today.  The writers of the Old Testament described God as best as they knew how, just like we do today.

The bottom line is for us to understand the nature of God.  Is God a loving, caring being?  Yes.  Should God be praised and feared?  Yes, because of who God is.  In our world of technology, we sometimes forget the magnitude of our God.  The Bible says that the skies could not hold all the things that could be written about God.  Wow!  I think in terms of computer storage and how much information could be stored on a very large hard drive or disk drive system.  God could fill that up in an instant!  ;-)

Our God is an awesome God!  I ask that we all remember the nature of God as we read and as we live our daily life.

Other Stuff
I had a nice evening.  I got off work a little early, so I ran a few errands.  I had time to rest a little bit before arriving at my walking buddy's house for supper.  We had a nice supper of pot roast!  My favorite!  ;-)  I also delivered her new laptop.  She was so excited!  Her Windows 7 Professional upgrade was her Christmas and birthday present.

I had a couple of short talks with my new friend.  I love talking to him.  I shared a song with him last night.  He didn't have it in his library, so I gifted it to him on iTunes.  I am looking for a Christmas CD that my hero gave my last year.  There is a cool song on there that I want him to have.

I have my first holiday concert today.  I have about ten or so in the next two weeks.  It will be fun.  I am also having dinner with flybear and going to my D1 class.  Throw in a conversation or two with my new friend and it will be a great day!

Let go, my friends!  God will catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment