Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Discontentment

Our Daily Bread
The phrase "season of discontent" has been used mostly to describe the bad season of a sport team.  I know Buckeye fans had one of those year before last when we finished with a losing record after a loss to Florida in a bowl game.  Discontent, I say!

The devotional talks about some of the causes of discontent.  I gave one example above - someone or something not meeting up to our expectations.  The example given by the author is deceit.  Deceit causes anxiety which leads to discontent.  Ever known anyone that never seems content with anything?  Their life is always in a uproar about something.  I know some folks and it is exhausting to be around them!  Proverbs 30 talks about these things.

Lord, as the write of Proverbs said "Remove falsehood and lies far from me".  The truth shall make us free...and content!

Teaching Tuesday
The very long lesson this week was about Elijah and Elisha.  Even though I was familiar with the references to Elijah in the Old and New Testaments, it never registered with me how prominent that Elijah was in the Hebrew culture.  He was second only to Moses!  I thought he would have been less prominent, at least lower than David and Solomon.

The story of Elijah and the prophets of Baal is a Biblical classic.  How powerful is the only true God, YAWH!  Elijah did die according to the scriptures.  He was swept away into heaven by a chariot of fire!  Wow!

There were great stories of Elisha and how he picked up the mantle of Elijah and carried on his work.  Cool stuff!

Both men issued in a new era in Jewish history - the age of the prophets.  More prophet stories to come!

********************************
I pray the weight of my sins doth not crush me back to dust from where I came. I pray that God create in me a new, clean heart and place a right spirit within me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation. Praise the Almighty God from whom all blessings flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment