Friday, March 8, 2013

When is weakness good?

Our Daily Bread
I read the story of David and Goliath for my EFM class a few weeks ago.  The ruddy, young David was going to fight the seasoned killer Goliath for the supremacy of the region.  No pressure!  David had absolute faith that YAWH was going to use him to win the battle.  In his weakness, God used him in a mighty way to show His power!

The devotional talks about how Jesus chose the unlike for his earthly ministry.  He didn't handpick the brightest and best from the religious leaders at the time -- priests, Sadducees and Pharisees.  Instead, Jesus chose the unlikely, some fisherman, a tax collector, a zealot and others.  Why?  There have been volumes and volumes of commentaries on this topic.  IMHO, Jesus did this because his ministry was for ALL people, regardless of who they were in society or the religious culture at that time.  ALL people!  Praise God! 

This is no surprise to the folks that know me or have read my blog for a while -- I am a silly old bear.  I can be a curmudgeon at times and can be hard to deal with.  Mixing this tendency with my natural calling and ability to speak out when others won't causes me a great deal of problems in my life.  I confess these things with the hope that it will encourage you to allow yourself to be used by God.  If God can use someone like me, even in a small way, then how much more could he use someone like you?  Give yourself to him. 

Lord, please help us to let go so you can make us strong in our weakness!

Foodie Friday
I started making my pot roast a different way in the crock pot a few months ago. Yes, I love how the veggies taste after cooking with the roast all day, so I didn't change that! 

I started using a can of Campbells French onion soup as the "onion" flavor instead of dried onion soup.  This change adds a LOT more flavor! 

I also started rubbing down the roast with this spice/salt mixture that my mother gave me.  I will post what this is.  I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.  It is like a Chicago steak spice rub that adds a lot of flavor. 

I started using different potatoes.  Instead of the traditional Idaho or white potatoes, I used the two-bite size gold potatoes from Kroger.  Kroger had them on sale for $1.00 for a 1.5 pound bag.  What a bargain!

I am looking forward to a quiet supper, reading and laundry tonight.  Been a bizarre week.  Time to recharge!

******************************
Let  go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment