Sunday, March 3, 2013

The truth? Really?

Our Daily Bread
I was talking to the lady that runs our small cafeteria at work the other day.  Somehow the word "truth" came up.  I laughed and said the famous movie line "The truth?  You can't handle the truth!".  We both laughed and said how much we admired Nicholson as an actor!

The same can be true for real life.  The truth?  We can't handle the truth!  Personally, I know there have been many times over the past five years where I could see the slow maturation process.  First, work on item 1, because I can't handle working on item 1, 2, 3, 4, etc...  There are so many times we can't "process" the truth in our tiny little minds (at least mine is!).  Our minds and hearts can be opened by a gentle, patient Holy Spirit that leads us to a new understanding.

An example for me was the EFM (my Bible study group) lesson talking about Jacob.  It said that when Jacob gave up his own plans and schemes to make God's promises happen that he became Israel, man of God.  Wow!  Great story!  THEN, the Holy Spirit told me to fill in my name...  What?  When Duane gives up his own plans and schemes to make God's promises happen he will become Phillip, man of God.  I use Phillip because it is my little used first name.  

What truth is God trying to teach you?  Let us pray for each other to have open minds and hearts to the truth of God.  

Lord, thank you for the platinum standard for truth.  Please help us always be open to learning and changing.

Psalm Sunday
I sang a musical setting of Psalm 84 in college.  It was beautiful set to music!  Take a look at the eloquent words used to describe the glory of God.

Psalm 84

For the director of music. According to gittith. Of the Sons of Korah. A psalm.

1 How lovely is your dwelling place,
    Lord Almighty!
2 My soul yearns, even faints,
    for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh cry out
    for the living God.
3 Even the sparrow has found a home,
    and the swallow a nest for herself,
    where she may have her young—
a place near your altar,
    Lord Almighty, my King and my God.
4 Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
    they are ever praising you.
5 Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
    whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
6 As they pass through the Valley of Baka,
    they make it a place of springs;
    the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
7 They go from strength to strength,
    till each appears before God in Zion.
8 Hear my prayer, Lord God Almighty;
    listen to me, God of Jacob.
9 Look on our shield, O God;
    look with favor on your anointed one.
10 Better is one day in your courts
    than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
    than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
    the Lord bestows favor and honor;
no good thing does he withhold
    from those whose walk is blameless.
12 Lord Almighty,
    blessed is the one who trusts in you.

***********************************
Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God - William Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment