Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Not just lip service

Our Daily Bread
There was a HUGE controversy in the music world when two singing stars were found to be lip syncing ALL of their songs!  They were just the front men for some other guys who actually did the singing.  Milli Vanilli is still a joke today because of their antics.  Their actions didn't match up with what their lips were saying!

I thought that was a very cool introduction to the devotional about living for Jesus, not just talking about him.  Yes, we need to talk about him to others and share our faith.  It is just as important to live our faith in him as an exclamation point to the words that come out of our mouths.  Seriously!  What are the words that are coming out of our lives?  Our actions speak volumes that our minds can't imagine!

Lord, please help us talk and walk your love and life.  We don't want to lip sync being a child of God!

Wellness Wednesday
Being yourself
You might remember the song that Kermit the Frog used to sing "It's not easy being green".  Click on the link and read the lyrics.  Now substitute whatever words you want for "green".  I substituted the word "me".  lalala, its not easy being me, when I could be somebody else..  Those are the lyrics I substituted for the way I have been feeling the past week.  Not feeling sorry for myself -- rather feeling some growing pains as God worked out some things in my life.  Here are a few things to think about when you just aren't feeling like you want to be you:

  1. You were put here for a reason, though it can sometimes be hard to see that.  There have been several TV shows over the years that gave folks a look at the world if they hadn't been born. Wow!  What about you?  What would the world be like it you hadn't been born?  
  2. You are the best qualified candidate to be you!  No one else has the qualifications to be the person you are and the person you are becoming in the Lord.  We might joke about having Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolee playing us in a movie, but they could never take our place in real life!
  3. Be the man or woman that God made you to be.  We can sometimes lose sight of who we are in the Lord.  I told a friend last night "People count on you and you don't always realize it.".  Being you is the best way to serve the Lord, even when other people may not get it!
  4. u r a bcog.  u r fawm.  I write that gibberish for my tag line sometimes.  It is a text message that I used to send a close friend. It means you are a beloved child of God.  You are fearfully and wonderfully made.  God made you to be you.

In the words from another song you may or may not have heard from, I gotta be me (either by Sammy Davis, Jr or the cast of Glee).

Whether I'm right or whether I'm wrong
Whether I find a place in this world or never belong
I gotta be me, I've gotta be me
What else can I be but what I am


Please be you.  People count on you and you don't always realize it!

*******************************
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit - Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment