Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I'm forgiven

Our Daily Bread
As you have read, I love music.  Songs speak to me.  A nice song I remember from my college days is "I'm Forgiven" by the Imperials.  It is a bouncy song with lyrics that beautifully express what the forgiveness of God is like.

Wouldn't it be nice if folks could sing songs like that about us?  "You are a Duane that forgives and forgets" is not something I hear often.  How about you?  No, I mean with you name inserted!   ha!  Forgiveness is a gift from God that is supposed to be shared.  We can forgive because we have been forgiven.  Forgiveness -- pass it on.

Lord, thank you for forgiveness.  It is one of the easiest things to get, we just ask you, but can be one of the hardest things to give to someone else.

Wellness Wednesday
Spiritual wellness
Much like taking my quarterly blood tests to monitor my diabetes, I like to do a spiritual checkup on a regular basis.  We sometimes think we are doing everything we are supposed to be doing, but then the Holy Spirit speaks to me when I read things like "forgive us for sins, known and unknown" and "forgive us for things left undone".  You know what I mean, right?

If you set goals to read and study your Bible, pray regularly, attend church, participate in some kind of ministry, etc, are you doing everything you promised?  Are we as faithful to God with our promises as he is with his promises towards us?

Here is my checklist:

  • Bible study: I am reading my EFM lesson faithfully each week, which is good.  I need to do more studying instead of just reading.
  • Prayer: I am not spending as much time alone with God as I planned.  I have been doing a better job of staying in a attitude of prayer throughout the day and trying to listen more to God's leading.
  • Movies: I have been doing a good job of keeping my promise of spending more time in prayer and Bible study than I am at the movies.  
  • Lent: I have kept my Lenten promise so far.  I gave up popcorn.  That may seem trivial to some folks, but it is like cocaine to me....  ;-p
  • The way I treat people: Doing better in general, but still need a lot of work.  I run across what Hebrews calls "roots of bitterness" that I didn't know I had (known and unknown, right?).  These things can sprout and grow into ugly behavior if not rooted out by the Holy Spirit.

How about you?  What is your list?  How u doin?  ;-O

**********************************
We too can know this God and be assured of His presence. He has revealed Himself in His creation and in His Word. As we ask Him to make Himself known to us, we’ll learn that He is even more than the owner and creator of everything! - Our Daily Bread web site

No comments:

Post a Comment