Saturday, March 30, 2013

Holy Week - Day 7

Our Daily Bread
Pay it Forward was a movie released a few years ago where a boy started a movement to pass along good deeds to folks.  He did a good deed.  He asked the person to pay it forward and do a good deed to someone else and so one.  It caused a short-lived trend for folks to do this in their daily lives!

Jesus gave us the ultimate "pay if forward" gift.  He died on the cross for our sins.  He didn't have to come to earth in the form of a human.  He didn't have to suffer and die.  He didn't have to give himself for us.  He did so out of love and obedience.  He knew what the experience would be like and did it anyway.  He did that for you and for me.

Lord, please help us always remember the sacrifice you made, especially when our small sacrifices seem so difficult for us.

Simply Saturday
Such a whiner during Holy Week
I didn't make it to rehearsal Monday night.  I whined about being tired, went home and went to bed.

I fulfilled my requirements Tuesday night, a voice lesson and my EFM class.  I sort of whined about the class afterwards.

I planned to attend the Tennebrae service on Wednesday, however I complained about being tired, went home and went to bed.

I attended the Maundy Thursday service at church the other night.  The choir had to be at church about 6:10 or so.  We rehearsed after the service, so I didn't home until about 10:00.  Whew...  Whining again.

I got to see a movie after work Friday, then went to the Good Friday service.  I took a break from my whining as I cried bitter tears during the service.  I could hardly look at the representation of Christ that hung over the altar.  His eyes seemed to say "I have given you so much.  Why the whining?"

I get to play tennis today, do some stuff around the house, then attend the Great Vigil service tonight.  I am practicing about NOT whining about the Great Vigil service being too long or about being at church for about five hours on Easter Sunday.

Giving your life over to Christ means several things to me.  First, God told me that my feelings are important. It is OK to whine.  I need to turn those things over to God.  If I had already done that, regardless of the whining topic of the moment, I wouldn't have anything to whine about, would I?  Second, taking my eyes off myself and looking around at others is so much more important considering that others need me.  God put me right here, right now, for many reasons.  I can rejoice in that!  Lastly, my whining appears to be about my wants, not my needs.  God always provides.  Always.  Regardless of the need, God always provides.  I can testify to that.

This Holy Week has been holy indeed.  Tears shed.  God's presence felt.  Growth occurred.  While I can't guarantee the whining will stop, I am more conscious of it now.  I will trust in the Lord.  I will wait patiently for Him.
****************************
I pray the weight of my sins doth not crush me back to dust from where I came. I pray that God create in me a new, clean heart and place a right spirit within me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation. Praise the Almighty God from whom all blessings flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment