Saturday, March 23, 2013

I hope so

Our Daily Bread
I perform a lot, so it is always interesting to me how performers talk to each other.  "Bread a leg".  "Relax, it will all go great!".  A common response is "I hope so!".  To me, hope doesn't have much to do with it.  Practice and preparation do.  How do I get to Carnegie Hall?  Practice! the old joke says!

Living a life for God can be similar, we need practice and preparation to learn to live it better.  There is also the hope element that I usually dismiss in things like performances or actually winning the lottery if I buy a ticket.  The hope of things to come.  The hope of the promises that God made to us personally. The hope of bringing others to God by living our lives for him.  The hope of having the creator of everything with us each and every millisecond.  That's a lot of hope!

Lord, we know our hope is in you.  Please help us to live that way!

Simply Saturday
Listening and Peace
I have been dealing with a situation in my life for a few years now.  Each time I try to deny my feelings and the things I feel that God promised me, God gently draws me back.  As I poured my heart out to God Thursday night for the umpteenth time about this situation, I felt him saying to me "It's OK.  I know you are weary.  I got this.  Hold on a while longer.  It is not the right time."  His Holy Spirit filled me a peace that truly passes understanding.

Like so many believers before me, I started having doubts on Friday night.  One problem with expecting great things from God is understanding his timing is best regardless of how we feel.  I was whining yet again, then said something like "OK, I am officially giving up hope on this situation unless you smack me in the face and tell me something different".  I guess I that was a pitiful way of asking for a sign.  I forgot the peace that I felt the night before.

When I got up this morning and read the devotional, I started crying.  I cried a little more.  I cried because God gave me the sign and my reminder -- my hope is in Him.  It always has been.  It always will be.  I will rest in his Word.  I will believe in his promises.  I will trust in the Lord.  I will wait patiently on him.

What situation are you facing?  Is the timing not what you thought it would be?  I write these things to let you know this -- God is faithful.  Trust in the Lord.

**********************************

Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you. - 2 Thessalonians 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment