Saturday, March 9, 2013

Diversions wanted

Our Daily Bread
Do you remember the Volkswagon advertising campaign called "Drivers wanted"?  I was fortunate to visit the ad agency that created that campaign shortly after they picked up that business.  It was very exciting.  The new business made a huge impact on their company.  There were a lot of changes going on!

I entitled this entry "Diversions wanted".  Have you ever had your plans diverted by God?  How did you react?  I know I don't always act with the right attitude.  I often feel cheated and put out by changes in my plans, whether it is by God or anyone else!  On the occasions I have listened, God worked wonders and used me in a special way.  I say "special way" because it happens so seldomly, that it is special when it happens!  ha!  Just kidding.  I mean "special" in that God used me in a way that I didn't expect.  It doesn't take much.  A kind word.  A smile.  A friendly gesture.  A funny quip.  Whatever it is, be open to it.  Diversions wanted.

Lord, thank you for diversions and the special way you can use us if we are willing!

Simply Saturday
Not always popular
Many times we think of Jesus Christ as one of the most popular men of his time.  He was followed by crowds everywhere.  He had trouble getting time alone to meditate and pray.  He was given a huge parade when he entered Jerusalem.  Crowds were cheering his name.  As Paul Harvey would say, what was the "rest of the story"?

Except for the crucifixion story, we usually skim over the stories about how unpopular Jesus was for many of the things he said.  Many of his teachings were against the social norm for the period.  They are against the social norm for today, too!  There were plans to kill him before he got to Jerusalem.  The folks of one town seriously considered throwing him off a cliff.  Another town wanted to stone him.  Others asked him to detour around their town.  Not exactly a triumphal entry there!

I am writing about this because we may not always have the popular voice when we speak out for Jesus.  His message is still revolutionary today.  Love God.  Love others.  These words are not popular in a world that lives by loving self and taking care of number one.

The most important thing that God has been trying to teach this stiff-necked old bear is to say things as Jesus would have said them.  He delivered his message with God's love about God's love.  Shouldn't we do that same?


**********************************
I am far from perfect, but despite my mistakes and my sins, I will never abandon the Lord and he will never abandon me - adapted from a statement about Abraham from the EfM Training Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment