Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fast food...

Our Daily Bread
The devotional today reminded me how the eating habits of Americans changed during my generation.  Saying things like "my generation" make me feel so old!  hehehe  Americans used to cook all of their meals at home and eat with the family.  It was rare for a family to eat out at a restaurant.  Eating out was eating a meal at church or a relative's house!

That in itself is not necessarily a bad thing.  The bad thing is fast food.  Not that it can be unhealthy if eaten in large quantities, but rather it removes the savoring of food and family time (regardless of your chosen "family").  We eat on the run so we can make our next rehearsal or meeting or practice.  Do you know of times that you took time to savor the food and the people you were eating with?  I have very fond memories of sharing meals with close friends!

Taking time to savor our relationship with God is even more important.  We can make our spiritual food like fast food -- eating it quickly alone and not savoring it with friends!  This topic and my approach leads into the section below.  Read on!

Lord, I want to take time to savor your Word.  To let is permeate my being.  To appreciate you and your love.

Teaching Tuesday
The last chapter in our class "Embracing an Adult Faith" by Marcus Borg is about community.  The questions were pretty easy for me this week.

Where have you experienced a Spirit-centered community?  
I have been fortunate to experience lots of communities, some Spirit-centered, most not.  I have experienced several Spirit-centered communities since attending King Avenue UMC the past 3.5 years.  It is incredible to make friends with folks that you barely noticed in the pews since the church is sort of large.  Retaining those friendships after the small group or class is over is even better!

How do you experience it today?  
I just finished a small group studying this book.  I plan to start a new group in the next few weeks.  I also volunteered to lead a group this Fall.  We will see how that goes.

What are you looking for from a community at this point in your life? 
I am looking for a group of folks that are not afraid to share.  Who are trustworthy with the secrets I share in our group.  Who care..


Other Stuff
I had to work late last night.  It didn't go as well as I wanted.  ;-(  I got one thing figured out, but not the other two things.  Heavy sigh.  The worst part is that his is a lab environment!  OH well.

I am supposed to have dinner with Fly bear tonight.  I have to get him home early because he has to work early tomorrow.

Being a friend is something that I have been struggling with lately.  I have been surprised by that struggle.  To be specific, being a friend to someone who has not treated me well, someone who considers me one of his closest friends, someone who is not one of my closest friends (see "has not treated me well").  We are commanded to love those who do not love us.  I finally realized that not every loves the way that I love.  I am an "all in" Texas Hold-em kind of lover with friends and family.  I don't hold much back.  It is disarming to folks that aren't used to it.  ;-p  Taking people where they are is sometimes the hardest step in loving them that way.  I will write more about this as I figure it out more.

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment