Sunday, April 10, 2011

Not one long church service...

Our Daily Bread
I thought the story of the young boy's version of heaven was a hoot!  One LOOOOOOOONNNGGG worship service lead by his dad!  hehehe

The children of God talk a lot about heaven.  We have some descriptions of what heaven is like.  We also have some writings about how things will work there.  I agree with the author that we should never, EVER be bored!

While it is nice to think of heaven, I prefer to work towards making my own heaven on earth!  Yes it is difficult sometimes to think of this earth being like the writings in Revelation.  I think heaven on earth is more an attitude of gratitude and worship each moment while we are awake.  Could there be some kind of heaven for you on this earth?  What will you do to work towards that?

Lord, thank you for the idea of heaven for eternity for your children.  I want to do my best to make each day here on earth as heavenly as possible!

Psalm Sunday
I keep forgetting my Bible study lessons when I read the psalms.  In the Old Testament, God's presence or blessing was often demonstrated by victories over enemies.  A crazy example was a battle where the Hebrews won the battle as long as Moses held up his arms as a symbol for God to come down and be with them.  When Moses' arms got tired, he had men assist him keeping his arms up so they could continue the victory.  The psalm to day has a similar mixture of praise and prayer for deliverance as many of the psalms we have read so far.


Psalm 9
    For the director of music. To the tune of “The Death of the Son.” A psalm of David.
 1 I will give thanks to you, LORD, with all my heart;
   I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
2 I will be glad and rejoice in you;
   I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High.

 3 My enemies turn back;
   they stumble and perish before you.
4 For you have upheld my right and my cause,
   sitting enthroned as the righteous judge.
5 You have rebuked the nations and destroyed the wicked;
   you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.
6 Endless ruin has overtaken my enemies,
   you have uprooted their cities;
   even the memory of them has perished.

 7 The LORD reigns forever;
   he has established his throne for judgment.
8 He rules the world in righteousness
   and judges the peoples with equity.
9 The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed,
   a stronghold in times of trouble.
10 Those who know your name trust in you,
   for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.

 11 Sing the praises of the LORD, enthroned in Zion;
   proclaim among the nations what he has done.
12 For he who avenges blood remembers;
   he does not ignore the cries of the afflicted.

 13 LORD, see how my enemies persecute me!
   Have mercy and lift me up from the gates of death,
14 that I may declare your praises
   in the gates of Daughter Zion,
   and there rejoice in your salvation.

 15 The nations have fallen into the pit they have dug;
   their feet are caught in the net they have hidden.
16 The LORD is known by his acts of justice;
   the wicked are ensnared by the work of their hands.[c]
17 The wicked go down to the realm of the dead,
   all the nations that forget God.
18 But God will never forget the needy;
   the hope of the afflicted will never perish.

 19 Arise, LORD, do not let mortals triumph;
   let the nations be judged in your presence.
20 Strike them with terror, LORD;
   let the nations know they are only mortal.


Other Stuff
I had a busy Saturday.  I ran some errands.  I picked up some cool plants at Costco for my breezeway.  I took lunch to a sick friend.  I had another friend taste the meatless meatloaf to get some ideas for perfecting the recipe.  I finished most of the preparation for hosting the dinner group.  A friend dropped by some food for the group.  It was a good day.

I will make the ham and meatless meatloaf this afternoon.  I will post pics of the table decorations.  Thanks, Yang, for a cute idea!

I have a short work week because of my trip to St Louis on Wednesday.  Watch out STL!  Duanebear is coming back to town!  ;-)  I scheduled a trip to Las Vegas during Labor Day week.  I used my frequent flier miles on Delta for the flight.  Woohoooo!  I booked a hotel that was a little more expensive than I planned because I wanted to stay in the pyramid (Luxor).  It should be nice.  It wasn't horribly expensive.  I am checking out shows now.  It is a little early to get tickets to most of them now.  I would also like to visit the Hoover Dam this time as well.  Maybe the Grand Canyon again.

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment