Friday, April 22, 2011

I just can't STAND it!

Our Daily Bread
Of all the funny stories from my days being a church camp counselor, one of my favorites is about a little boy that seemed to have a low tolerance for almost everything!  When things got more intense than he could bear, he would loudly say with a Kentucky twang -  "I just can't STA-a-A-ND it!"  hehehe  He was a sweet kid.  I don't know whatever happened to him.

Like my little friend, I sometimes feel the same way when the weight of my sins hits me all at once.  I hate to admit that I sin a lot.  I know my sins affect others.  I have also felt the sins of others affecting me.  God is gracious to give us his love to forgive and be forgiven!

Lord, Thank you for your love and forgiveness.  I need to receive it.  I need to give it!

Foodie Friday

I won't take complete credit for this recipe.  I based it on a spicy Southwest black bean burger recipe from Kim!  I took the recipe and made it mine so I could have a meatless meatloaf to serve for my vegan friends at my dinner group.  I hope you enjoy it!  Duane


Meatless Meatloaf
 Ingredients

2 Cans of Black Beans
4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Cayenne Powder
A Few Dashes of Your Favorite Hot Sauce (optional)
1 Teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoons Greek Low Fat Yogurt¼ Cup Cilantro
1 Lime, Juiced
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 package pre-made Uncle Ben's whole grain brown rice
1 - 2 cups of bread crumbs or panko as needed

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Start by thoroughly rinsing and draining the black beans.  I mean thoroughly!  Excess moisture makes it harder to get the consistency you want for this recipe.  In a blender or food processor, blend together the beans, garlic, yogurt, lime juice, cilantro and spices. When that's blended dump into a bowl along with the rice, red pepper, and red onion. Stir everything with a wooden spoon until you reach a consistency that enables you to form a loaf. Too soft? Add in bread crumbs or panko – Too Stiff? Add in a bit of water. Shape into a loaf and place in a loaf pan.
Bake for 35 minutes.  Do the "clean toothpick" test like you would for brownies.  If the toothpick is not clean, bake for another five minutes.  Baking times may vary depending on your oven.  

After baking, let cook for a short time, then slice like regular meatloaf.  You can serve this with fresh guacamole or some fresh salsa.  You can also make meatless meatloaf sandwiches!  



Other Stuff
My latest medical adventure is a type of vertigo caused by allergies.  I was relieved that the issue was something simple, though not necessarily simple to cure.  I am taking some new drugs to help this feeling that sometimes wants to make me pass out (like at work the other day!).  I am minimizing my driving time until the meds kick in.  I teased my friends that I guess I really am the dizzy bitch they think I am!  hehehe

I need to focus on getting the house ready for Easter dinner this weekend.  It is supposed to rain A LOT in Columbus this weekend.  OH well.

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment