Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sluggard = Slacker

Our Daily Bread
Today's devotional reminded me that Biblical language can be overlooked because the language can seem outdated.  The author did a great job of "translating" the old word "sluggard" into today's language -- "slacker". We all know slackers!  hehehe

I liked the way the devotional talked about each of us having specific areas of our life that we are each slackers!  I never thought of it that way.  I have been an overachiever for most of my life.  Slacking is not common for me in general, but I see how I sometimes slack off with specific areas of my life.  I am not always loving enough to the unlovable.  I don't always pray enough.  I don't always have enough faith.  I am not always trusting enough of God's love and deliverance.

In what areas of your life are you slacking today?

Lord, I don't want my life to be a reality TV show called "Slackers"!  Help me discipline myself with your help!

Teaching Tuesday
One of the most common areas of "slacking" is in the area of Bible study.  "Oh, the Bible is so hard to understand".  "Oh, I just can't connect to what is being said".  "I don't understand".  For me, if I really want to read something, I work through those issues.  I remember the first time I tried to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  I was lost after the first few pages!  I was only able to read it after seeing the first movie where I could get a framework for the characters, the scenery and the basic story.

The point is that we should find whatever way we can to start our understanding and build our understanding of God through God's Word.  I know it is confusing and contradictory at times.  God's Word teaches us about the nature of God.  It cannot possibly hold every detail about God or every detail about human history.  One passages says that even the skies above cannot hold all the things that could be written about our Almighty God!  Wow!

Whatever it takes for you to start -- start today!

Other Stuff
I had a busy evening.  I had a conversation with mi tigre after I got off work.  I rested a few minutes before driving to Easton to run an errand for my hero.  I also stopped by Target to pick up a few things.  My last small group class was enjoyable.  We will see where we want to go from here.

I fell into bed when I got home.

I didn't make it up to work out this morning.  Heavy sigh....  I will try harder.  I used to do this almost every day.  I will do some exercise during the day and do some upper body exercises when I get home tonight.

I am going to the OSU-Illinois game with my hero tonight  I haven't been to a basketball game yet.  I am very excited!

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment