Friday, July 27, 2012

Behind the scenes

Our Daily Bread
Have you ever met someone who is a quiet encourager "behind the scenes"?  I have been fortunate to know many of those folks in my life.  There was a member of my home congregation who pulled me aside every time I went home from college.  She would press a $5 bill in my hand and tell me she was praying for me.  I don't know that ever let her know how much that meant to me!

The devotional is about people like this in the Bible.  It also talks about how we should be people like this!  If we don't have the gift of being an encourager, then we should do our best when the opportunities arise.

I liked the part about people who have suffered the most often being the ones who can be the most encouraging.  In my own life, God allowed me to go through many things the past five years.  More things that most folks experience in 20 years.  He gave me the strength to make it through  and overcome the challenges.  Praise God!  While I might grumble at times about "why is this happening to me?", I know that all things work to the good of those who love God!

Lord, thank you for the trials.  Please help me rely on your strength to pass the tests!

Foodie Friday
An acquaintance made a very nice summer salad for a social function last Sunday.  I found a basic recipe for it online.  I plan to make it for a church dinner next Saturday.  I may adjust the recipe some when I start making it (I may not add cheese and I may cook the farro in chicken stock or vegetable stock).  I bought the farro on amazon.com.  I am sure it is available at your local health food store.

Summer Farro Salad

Serves 8 to 12, as a side or main course

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups uncooked farro (or substitute barley)

1 medium red onion, cut in half

1 clove garlic

handful of fresh parsley plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more if needed

1 cup finely diced (about 1/4 "cubes) fresh mozzarella cheese

2 teaspoons minced pitted kalamata olives

1 pint grape tomatoes, cut into quarters

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil

Freshly ground pepper, to taste

FOR THE DRESSING

scant 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

2 teaspoons honey


1. Add the farro, one onion half, garlic, handful of parsley and salt along with 2 3/4 cups water to a 2 quart pot. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off burner and let sit, covered, for 5 more minutes. Discard the onion, garlic and large pieces of parsley. Spread out on a rimmed sheet pan and let cool completely (do not skip this step or the mozzarella will melt into the finished dish).

2. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegars and honey to prepare the dressing. Chop the remaining onion half finely. Add onion, cooled farro, mozzarella, kalamata olives, tomatoes, remaining tablespoon of parsley and basil to a deep bowl. Pour the dressing over the ingredients and stir well to combine, using a long wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Season with salt and pepper. The salad is ready to serve, but can also be made and stored in the fridge, covered, one day ahead.


NOTE: if you don't use the cheese and cook the farro in water or vegetable stock, this can be a vegan dish.  Also, I will probably leave out the olives and use thinly sliced cucumbers instead.  ;-)

*************************************************
Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment