Tuesday, July 17, 2012

It's not just stuff

Our Daily Bread
I read a prayer in church a few times that I didn't understand for a long time.  It asked forgiveness for "known and unknown sins".  Hmmmm.  Unknown sins?  I am ashamed to admit that I very good at sinning and knowing exactly what I am doing.  What is an unknown sin?  I finally learned that an unknown sin is something that is wrong, but that you aren't consciously aware of it yet.  I started praying for more insight into my unknown sins!

Joshua ran into the unknown sin problem during a battle.  Israel was supposed to win the battle easily.  They did not.  Joshua rent his clothes asking God what happened.  Joshua didn't know that one of his men kept some pieces of accursed things against Joshua's orders.  Once those things were removed, Israel was victorious again.

Are there any accursed things in your life?  Have you prayed about the Holy Spirit opening your eyes to your unknown sins?  I know I am re-evaluating my life!

Lord, please show us our unknown sins.  Please help us with the known ones as well!

Teaching Tuesday
Secret number 9 is:
Remember where you came from.

The book talks mostly about ethnicity, but I think this applies to everyone.  For example, when my grandparents first moved from West Virginia to Northern Ohio, they were not made to feel welcome.  Imagine that!  They were called all kinds of names.  They were not welcome at church or school.  It was horrible!  My grandmother instilled in her children and grandchildren to "never be ashamed of who you are"! I still live by that today!

It was funny that I used this teaching to my advantage when I "came out" to her.  She said we could keep my sexuality a secret.  I told her I had always been taught to never be ashamed of who I am!  ha!

Know you are.  Know where you came from.  Be yourself.

**********************************************************
Let go, my friends! God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment