Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Servants

Our Daily Bread
I have been to many dinners and parties where folks try to jockey for the best seats and best places to stand to be seen as important or part of the "in" crowd.  I sometimes find myself wanting to be in the limelight so I can be noticed.  It is only human nature.

James and John asked Jesus a very "human" question -- "Can we sit on your right and left hand in heaven?".  The "Sons of Thunder" angered the other disciples with this question.  Why did the brothers think they were better than anyone else?  Jesus replied in his loving way, as usual, telling them that they had to think of themselves as servants to be lifted up in Glory!  Wow!  That is not how folks think!

Are we asking God for the wrong things?  Are we trying to lift up ourselves instead of focusing on serving God and loving others?

Lord, please show me the way to show your love!

Workout Wednesday
Tennis
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I started playing singles tennis again as part of my exercise regimen.  I enjoy tennis a lot.  I haven't played much of it in about twenty years.  It has been interesting getting back in the swing of things (pun intended!).  Some folks think that you don't get much of a workout when playing doubles or singles.  If you play a good match with someone on your level (like my 2.5 hour heartbreaking loss two weeks ago), you get lots of exercise!  I am sharing a few exercises that you can do in addition to playing tennis.  I got the idea from an episode of Reluctantly Healthy.  I included the link below.

  1. Practice serves.  Do lots and lots of them, especially your second serve so you can execute your form flawlessly in a real match.
  2. Run the lines.  Start on the left hand side of the court, run to the first line, touch it, go back, then go to the next line, touch it, repeat until you hit all the lines.  Do three or four sets.
  3. Review the video in this link from a Reluctantly Healthy episode.  Start slow on this exercise as it is easy to trip and fall on your butt!  I know I almost did!  Try to speed up each time.  Try to repeat the exercise four or five times as you build up your endurance and speed.  
  4. Work on your grip.  Use a grip exerciser to improve your grip in both hands (not just your racket hand).  Work up to three or four sets of forty or fifty reps.
  5. If you really want to improve your "burst" speed and agility so you can get to more shots from your opponent, try the sled from your crossfit gym.  I like pushing the sled four to six times after a workout to build endurance and burst speed.  Very cool!
Remember -- if you can't do all of this stuff, please do something!  Get out there and move!

******************************************************

Let go, my friends!  God will there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment