Sunday, October 2, 2011

Don't.... speak, don't........ speak...

Our Daily Bread
I have a silly joke with some friends based on an old movie where the actress puts her hands dramatically over the costars mouth and says "No, don't....speak.. Don't.....speak!"  The actor doesn't know quite what to do!  I don't think I would either!

I live by myself.  I often enjoy the silence in my home.  I have music on sometimes when I am doing housework or cooking.  I sometimes have the TV on to keep track of football games on Saturday afternoons.  Most of the time, it is just me and God.  I wish I were a better listener during these times.  I seem to focus on things are not important instead of a prayer-like attitude or a "I am listening, God" frame of mind.  I will work on that.  ;-)

How about you?  Does pointless noise keep you from communing with God each day?  Do you take time to be silent so God can speak to you?  Give that a shot.  He will speak to you in many different ways if you watch and listen.

Lord, whether it be a still, small voice or a billboard on the highway, please help us to always be attentive to the messages you send us.

Psalm Sunday
Psalm 24 is a beautiful poem of praise to our God Almighty.  David talks about the awesome things God has done.  Who can compare to our God?  David even talks about who can walk on this earth that God created -- those who worship him.  Read and enjoy!


Psalm 24

Of David. A psalm.
 1 The earth is the LORD’s, and everything in it,
   the world, and all who live in it;
2 for he founded it on the seas
   and established it on the waters.

 3 Who may ascend the mountain of the LORD?
   Who may stand in his holy place?
4 The one who has clean hands and a pure heart,
   who does not trust in an idol
   or swear by a false god.

 5 They will receive blessing from the LORD
   and vindication from God their Savior.
6 Such is the generation of those who seek him,
   who seek your face, God of Jacob.

 7 Lift up your heads, you gates;
   be lifted up, you ancient doors,
   that the King of glory may come in.
8 Who is this King of glory?
   The LORD strong and mighty,
   the LORD mighty in battle.
9 Lift up your heads, you gates;
   lift them up, you ancient doors,
   that the King of glory may come in.
10 Who is he, this King of glory?
   The LORD Almighty—
   he is the King of glory.


Other Stuff
Saturday was weird for me.  I slept in a little bit, but not too late.  I started by getting laundry folded and put away.  Sent a few texts to friends.  Checked out some stuff on the computer.  Put a few things away.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to try to mow the lawn and plant my plants or go to a movie.  I took a short nap.  That seemed to make me feel worse.  It was too cold and wet to work outside.  Didn't really feel like going out to a movie, so I watched a streaming movie from Amazon.com.  I got a free streaming version of a DVD I just purchased

The movie was bizarre, but hot in some ways...  I bought it because it had Sean Connery running around scantily clad for most of the movie.  I have to confess - I lusted mightily.  He has been one of my favorite men since I saw him in the James Bond movies.  The movie was awful, but I enjoyed watching him!  I will review the movie tomorrow on my Movie Monday entry.

I watched the Ohio State - Michigan State football game.  I was horrified by our offense until they showed a little bit of hope in the last few minutes.  That just got my hopes up only to be dashed when the onside kick failed.  We had our chance to get the ball back!  I am not sure why we didn't use the short pass, speed up offense the rest of the game.  It seemed to work.  Oh well.  Nebraska got pounded by Wisconsin last night.  Does that mean we have a chance next Saturday?  I don't think so, but who knows at this point?

I wasn't feeling any better after the game.  I called a friend and told him I couldn't attend the potluck last night.  I went to bed about 7:00.  I woke up about 10:35 this morning.  I must have been out of it.  I need to mow the lawn today, plant my plants and then rest before mens chorus tonight.

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment