Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A wise investment

Our Daily Bread
Some of my friends make fun of me because I don't watch TV very much.  If my TV is on, I am either watching a Bluray movie or a sports event (Go Buckeyes!).  I watch other stuff occasionally, but I would rather spend my time on other things.

I like to think I spend my time investing on things "not of this earth".  I can't always say that honestly.  I probably spend too much time watching movies, either at home or in the theater.  I may spend too much time on the computer, though I deleted most of my online accounts two years ago.  I have this blog, my Twitter account and my email accounts.  We even have to be careful doing too much church stuff that isn't building up things in heaven!

What things are you spending too much time on?  Are there things keeping you from getting to know God better?  From investing in things not of this world?  Think and pray about that today!

Lord, I want to put all unnecessary things behind me so I can focus on you!

Witness Wednesday
This has been an interesting week for me.  The sermon on Sunday finally got through to me the second time I heard it in the 11:00 service.  I have to admit that I have been walking a fine line between "trusting God to work in my life" and "demanding that God work in my life because of all I have done for Him".  Yikes!  I didn't realize that when I was praying a line from the Merton prayer "And I know if I do this you WILL lead me by the right road", I was inadvertently demanding from God things that I had no right to demand.

My prayer now is that I do everything I do for God for the honor of serving him.  I will do my best to not expect anything in return.  Following his ways instead of mine are what is best for me.  I know that now.  The peace and calm I have felt this week have gone deeper than I ever remembered.  I will trust in the Lord.  He is worthy to be served and praised!

FYI, I am at the 13 pounds lost mark this week.  Whew!  I will keep working on it.  I still have days that I don't make great eating choices.  I will continue to work on that.  Part of my problem is that I don't always know how much insulin to take.  That can leave me feeling too high or too low.  Feeling too low means I have to eat something even though I am not hungry.  I am finally learning that I don't want or need to do that.  Praise God!

Other Stuff
I took a short nap when I got home last night.  I am fighting a sinus and ear infection.  Whew...  I made a run to Costco.  I spent more than what I planned, but I am not stocked up on a lot of stuff for the winter.  The only clothing items I bought were some socks and a shirt (didn't really need the shirt, but it was cool...).  I also bought some white crew socks for New Life.

I went home and did a few things around the house.  I had some of the pork tenderloin I made on Sunday for supper.  It was tasty!  Emptied the dishwasher.  Evaluated a piece of software for church.  Worked on some stuff in iTunes.  I am not sure I like the iCloud sync thing.  Hmmmmm..  Still getting duplicate calendar entries at times.  Don't like that at all!

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment