Friday, October 7, 2011

Love one another as I loved you...

Our Daily Bread
One of the questions in my D1 reading this week asked why we needed to come together at church.  I didn't think about the topic of today's devotional -- to show love for each other.  Isn't that one of the "perks" of being a Christian?  Having a loving community of believers around us?

I had forgotten what it was like to have just that when I started back to church about four years ago.  I found so many new friends that I couldn't believe it at first.  I don't know what I expected!  I guess I had several bad experiences around me the past churches I attended.  One as a paid bass section leader and the last church I served as a minister of music.  Those were some real doozies!  My ex partner and I decided not to attend church when we were together.  We were both burned out by our previous experiences!

Lord, I want to be involved in a loving community of believers.  Please help me do my part!

Foodie Friday
I made a Spring mix salad last week for my potluck, though I didn't get to attend.  Here is what I put in it.  You can make this any size you want.  My secret is to toss the dressing in ahead of time and let it set in the fridge for a while before serving.

Spring mix salad
Spring mix salad (as much or little as you desire)
shredded mozzarella cheese
bacon bits
mushrooms (if desired)
dried cranberries
asiago parmesan balsamic dressing
Sliced almonds

Mix all the ingredients well.  Add dressing to taste.  Top with some freshly ground black pepper and the sliced almonds before serving.

I found a nice recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, one of my favorites!  Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in the quick oats, walnuts, and chocolate chips. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.


Other Stuff
I had a nice evening, though busy again.  I drove home right after work.  You may think that is not odd, however I usually stay downtown for supper and reading on Thursday night before choir practice.  I drove home to do a few things, then met a friend for supper.  We hadn't talked in a while so it was nice to get together.  She is a like a little sister to me.

I got a little laundry done here and there as well.  Very cool.  I won't have to do as much tonight!  I am supposed to receive my next shipment of plants today.  I want to mow the lawn and put the plans in the ground if the weather is nice.

As I describe it now, I was more receptive to God's healing and strength in the past 36 hours.  I had a thought back to an old saying: If you feel distant from God, He wasn't the one who moved!  I feel better about my relationship issue.  I really can move on if I let God help me.  "This is where the healing begins" as a song says...  I also laughed when I remembered some of the lyrics to Blessings "He loves us too much to give us lesser things".  We have to be careful what we ask for!  hehehe

I am trying to pre-order my new iPhone today.  I will see how that goes....

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment