Monday, October 24, 2011

Walk, even when weary...

Our Daily Bread
Once again, the devotional spoke to me where I am living!  Yikes!  How does God do that?  These devotionals were written long before I even knew these situations were going to happen!  It just shows that God has a plan.  If we follow his will as best as we can, we can know without a doubt that he is with us!

The prophet Jeremiah had a tough job -- he had to proclaim an unpopular message to a rebellious Hebrew people.  It is amazing how God continues to do this kind of work through people today if they will follow his guidance!  I am not Jeremiah, however, God has been using me in such a way.  I was complaining to God this morning about how unpleasant this task is.  I don't like doing it.  I am not popular with some folks because of some of the things that I say.  It is difficult to deliver these messages without sounding judgmental and condescending.  I am praying about my delivery!

At the end of our talk, I promised God that I would continue to do my best.  That is only the way I know how to act in my life at this point.  Praise God!

Lord, help us say what you want us to say.  Help us to listen to what we should hear.

Movie Monday
I got to see two very different movies last week: Attack the Block and The Way.

Attack the Block
This is a horror movie about aliens that landed in the block of a local gang.  The gang takes it upon themselves to fight the aliens after they killed the first one they found.  They didn't realize they killed the smaller, weaker female until the larger, vicious males landed!  The monsters were sort of cool looking.  The characters were varied and interesting.  I recommend seeing it for a little scare if you like lighter horror movies.  There are some blood and guts, so avoid it if you are sensitive to that sort of thing.

I give this movie two bear paws.  No need to see it at the theater unless you want to see the aliens on a much larger screen.

The Way
I read about this movie online and decided to give it a chance.  It is about a father who loses his son on the first day of his son's quest for spiritual enlightenment on the El Camino (the walk) from France to Spain.  The father decides to do the walk in honor of his son.  The movie is about the walk and the relationships he made along the way.  I thought it was very well acted. There were some holes in the credibility of the story, but that didn't distract me too much (a 60 year old man takes on a very long walk with no training and no major issues...).

I give this three bear paws for the incredible acting.  You will see some beautiful landscapes and cinematography if you see this on the big screen.

Other Stuff
We had a great service at church yesterday.  I really enjoyed the sermon and the music!

I came home after church to work on my landscaping.  I dug out all the overgrown bulbs in one of my beds and replanted them.  I hope it looks OK when they come up in the Spring.  I had enough bulbs to plant some in another bed.  I also cleaned up more of the rear bed.  It was a mess.  It looks much better now.  I may have scored some hostas from a buddy at mens chorus.  I can plant those in the bed behind my office.  Those hostas and the grass I want to replant there should fill out that bed!  Woohoooo!  All the beds should look very nice if everything comes up next Spring!

I got a short nap in before driving to mens chorus rehearsal.  The music for this concert sounds amazing already.  I am very excited about it.

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and carry your heavy load!

No comments:

Post a Comment