Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween treat?

Our Daily Bread
It is Halloween in the United States.  I have mixed feelings about this holiday!  As a gay man, I don't celebrate it like a lot of my friends with lavish costumes and wild parties.  I like handing out Halloween candy to the little beggars in my neighborhood.

Just as some of our friends can be difficult to recognize in costume, Jesus was difficult to recognize because of the way he came to this earth and the way he chose to live his life.  He was not a royal born king of this world, rather a humble king of the spiritual world.  The latter was MUCH more difficult for us to understand!  He didn't LOOK like a messiah!  He didn't TALK like we thought the messiah should talk.  Shouldn't he be like Moses?  Shouldn't he be like David or Solomon?  Like many times in our lives, God had a different, better idea of what should happen.

Jesus came to earth to help the beggars that we are, not for bits and bites of chocolate and other treats, but for spiritual food that would help us to never hunger again!  Praise God!

Lord, thank you for the ultimate treat of Jesus!

Movie Monday
I didn't make it to the movies this week.  I spent a lot of my free time with a friend in the hospital.  We had some good visits.  He may get out of the hospital today.

Instead of a movie review, let's look at the movies that are coming out on DVD and Bluray.  Most of the big summer blockbusters are coming out now just in time for Christmas!  Woohoooo!  Here is a list of recent releases (some are just Bluray releases) and some upcoming releases:

Currently Available
Captain America: The First Avenger
Jurassic Park Trilogy
Winnie the Pooh
Attack the Block
Dazed and Confused
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Bad Teacher
Batman: Year One
Tree of Life
Green Lantern
Horrible Bosses
Beautiful Boy
Fast Five

Upcoming
Cars 2
Crazy, Stupid, Love
Water For Elephants
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Toy Story 3D
Trespass
Cop Land
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Tabloid
An Invisible Sign


Other Stuff
I visited my friend in the hospital after church yesterday, then went home for a nap.  I was tired.  Mens chorus rehearsal went well.  I will work on my music some more this week.

I talked with a couple of guys at church yesterday.  Got shot down for a date for the concert on Friday.  Oh well.  I am not going to worry about it.  ;-P

I am looking forward to handing out candy tonight to the little goblins in my neighborhood!

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms...

No comments:

Post a Comment