Sunday, January 22, 2012

Can't stop the music...

Our Daily Bread
It is rare that I get to mention a Village People song in a devotion!  ;-p  Can't stop the music is a song and a movie title for them.  The song isn't too bad.  The movie wasn't very good at all!

Throughout the Bible, you can't ignore the role of music in the worship and life with God!  It is such an integral part of the spiritual life.  Today, music is a part of almost every life.  There are TV shows and radio stations and satellite radio and on and on.  How can music add to our quest for a better relationship with God?

First, participate in music at church in an appropriate way.  Not everyone can sing like an angel.  Try at least singing the hymns and praise songs.  Support the arts in your church any way you can.  Read the Psalms out loud as you have a chance (like each Sunday in m blog!).  Find your favorites and read them often!

Lord, thank you for the gift of music.  I want to lift up your name and use it to better my relationship with you!

Psalm Sunday
The psalm for this week is Psalm 34.  Very cool praise psalm!  I like the way it talks about the life of one who truly seeks God!


Psalm 34

    Of David. When he pretended to be insane before Abimelek, who drove him away, and he left.
 1 I will extol the LORD at all times;
   his praise will always be on my lips.
2 I will glory in the LORD;
   let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
3 Glorify the LORD with me;
   let us exalt his name together.

 4 I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
   he delivered me from all my fears.
5 Those who look to him are radiant;
   their faces are never covered with shame.
6 This poor man called, and the LORD heard him;
   he saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
   and he delivers them.

 8 Taste and see that the LORD is good;
   blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
9 Fear the LORD, you his holy people,
   for those who fear him lack nothing.
10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
   but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.
11 Come, my children, listen to me;
   I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
12 Whoever of you loves life
   and desires to see many good days,
13 keep your tongue from evil
   and your lips from telling lies.
14 Turn from evil and do good;
   seek peace and pursue it.

 15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous,
   and his ears are attentive to their cry;
16 but the face of the LORD is against those who do evil,
   to blot out their name from the earth.

 17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
   he delivers them from all their troubles.
18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
   and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

 19 The righteous person may have many troubles,
   but the LORD delivers him from them all;
20 he protects all his bones,
   not one of them will be broken.

 21 Evil will slay the wicked;
   the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
22 The LORD will rescue his servants;
   no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.


Other Stuff
I had a little breakthrough the other day.  I have been trying to figure out how to write about it, so here it goes.  I have written about God's promise tome about finding my next relationship, my life partner.  I realized the other day that I have been saying "yes, God, I have faith and I believe in your promise". but I haven't really been trusting God completely.  I realized when I was thinking about mi tigre.  Is he the one?  I said to myself "I never thought I would find him".  DOH!  Busted!  I guess I really hadn't given that over to the Lord completely.  That also made me think "what else haven't I given over to the Lord completely?"  Of course, I got an answer to that pretty quickly, too!  hehehe  Dropping the baggage from previous relationships is happening slowly, but surely.  More slowly than what I want!  I praise God that my eyes have been opened!

I had a nice supper with my skinny buddy and his nephew last night.  I also got my reading done.  I had a couple quick conversations with mi tigre.  He had a very busy day yesterday as well.  I am looking forward to his visit!

I have my first board meeting with the mens chorus this afternoon.  We will see how that goes!

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment