Monday, January 23, 2012

Don't forget...

Our Daily Bread
While studying the Old Testament in the Disciple 1 and 2 classes at church, I am always amazed about how forgetful the people of Israel are when it comes to the things that God did for them.  They turn from him in many ways including worshiping false gods.  As we say in Kentucky "That just ain't right!"  Please note that there are a lot more syllables in those words when I speak my Kentucky accent!  hehehe

The devotional talks about how Moses told the people of Israel about the land of milk and honey.  How they would live abundantly.  God promises us the same things today if we love him and follow him.  We may not have all we want, but he will provide (or empower us to obtain) all we need.  How cool is that!

From my life experience, I see myself acting like the people of Israel.  It is only human nature.  We forget God when things are going well.  In essence, we should always acknowledge and praise and worship the Lord in all circumstances.  I mentioned in D1 class a few weeks ago: "What does it matter what circumstances we are facing if we know that God is with us?"  That is not an easy thing to say or to live!

Lord, thank you for being with us at all times.  We know that if you seem far away it is because we moved, not you!

Movie Monday
I got to see two movies last week: Joyful Noise and Contraband.

Joyful Noise
This movie was exactly what I expected -- fun and uplifting!  It also had some tender moments and some very, very funny moments!  The story is about a great church choir that seems to lose in the regional finals each year and never makes it to the national competition.  Their small town is dying and the choir is the one bright spot for the folks there.  They get their big break to compete at nationals.  You have to see the movie to see what happens!  I loved the music even though I am not a huge fan of using pop music in a worship situation.  Like the Sister Act movies, they made it tasteful and they made it work.  Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah were very good together and apart.

I give this movie three bear paws for the overall experience.  You can rent it if you like.  There is nothing spectacular about seeing it in the theater except the sound and very large screen for the show pieces.

Contraband
Mark Wahlberg starred in this movie about an ex-smuggler gone straight that gets pulled back into his old life when his brother-in-law gets in trouble with his old cronies.  The story seems typical, but there are enough twists and turns that make it very interesting towards the end.  There are lots of explosions and action as well.

I give this movie two bear paws for the action and plot twists.  You can watch this at home unless you want to see the explosions on a big screen!

Other Stuff
I had a busy weekend that was capped off with church yesterday and a long board meeting.  I wrote up the minutes from the meeting as soon as I got home so I wouldn't forget our conversations when transcribing my notes.

I talked to mi tigre a few times.  I am sure he fell asleep last night as he had a late Saturday night and an early Sunday morning of running errands.

I also had a good time with my skinny buddy from Cincy.  We had breakfast yesterday morning before he left for his refereeing gig and headed home.  I miss seeing him regularly.

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment