Thursday, January 12, 2012

Don't hide it under a bushel

Our Daily Bread
A song from my childhood goes something like this: This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.  One of the verses is: Hide it under a bushel, NO, I'm gonna let it shine.  You must yell "NO" as loud as you can!  hehehe

I understand the predicament the lady had in the devotional.  I was at the movies on Saturday.  The movie was in a large theater that wasn't very full.  Of all the places to sit, a gentleman sat next to me.  He looked at me and said: " Is this OK?  I have a brain tumor and I act funny sometimes.  I walk the dog.  That is my job."  I told him he was fine.  I also checked on him after the movie to make sure he found his way.

It is easy for us to hide our light or to let Satan blow it out through his trickery and lies.  Hide it under a bushel, NO!  Gonna let Satan blow it out, NO!  ;-)  That is easier said than done some days!

Lord, help us always show your light!

Technology Thursday
I think I forgot to review the Kindle Touch last week (or the week before).  I have been using it for a few weeks now.  I bought the Kindle Touch 3G.  It comes with free 3G access to Amazon.com.  Note, the 3G access is only for Amazon.com.  You can't use the web browser to access anything but Amazon.com.  That surprised me a little bit when I tried to access some sports scores in a place that didn't have a wireless network.

Things I like:

  • It is so light!  It is much lighter and easier to hold than my iPad.  Make no mistake, the Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire hold a candle to an iPad in my opinion.  I find the Kindle Touch very easy to hold and to read, especially with the case I got that has place for me to slip my hand in.  I use a quick touch of the thumb to advance the pages.  Very cool!
  • It is relatively fast.  I can maneuver the pages fairly quickly.
  • It organizes my books in an easy to read list.
  • I can buy new content quickly.

Things I don't like:

  • The flashing of the e-ink screen every few pages.  I find this annoying, but I am getting used to it.
  • It puts the most recently used book at the top of the book list.  This is OK, I guess.  At least it makes sense.  I have to look through the list each time if I can't remember when I last accessed a book.
  • It is not back lit.  This is not a big deal either.  I have a book light to use if I read at night.
  • Navigation within some books is cumbersome.  I am getting used to this as well.  It is not easy to get to specific Bible verses in some books.

Overall, I recommend this device if you like to read!  The wireless network only version is cheaper.  A lot fo folks can get by with that version.  I didn't find the ads too intrusive.


Other Stuff
I worked from home yesterday because of my eye doctor appointment yesterday afternoon.  The appointment went very well!  Wooohooooo!  Considering the doctor told me 3.5 years ago that he didn't know if he could help me a lot, hearing that I had 20/20 vision with my new glasses was very cool!

I am trying bifocals now.  I received them in the mail yesterday.  I will try them out.  I find that I have lazy head.  I tilt my head at times and things go out of focus!  I also have to be careful looking down, which is not easy for me without glasses.  I don't wear the glasses for medium vision like when I read the computer screen.

I had a couple of nice conversations with mi tigre.  I really like him.

I have my first boot camp session tonight.  I started following the weight loss diet today.  I will see how that goes.  I am sure I will write about it.

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment