Sunday, August 22, 2010

Can't just check them off...

ODB.org
The scripture in the devotional today is what spoke to me. I believe in the word of God, though I fear some Christians almost idolize the Bible. I don't think that is good. If you think about it, it is like holding up the Cliff Notes to a time honored classic as the real thing! The rest of this rant is for a different day. Here is what I wanted to say about the scripture passage today. Look at 2 Peter 1:5-7:
5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;
6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;
7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.

So as a planning and project management kind of guy, I must resist the temptation to define the scope of each of these areas. Why? So I can establish measurable criteria for when I accomplish each one, of course! DOH! This is where "letting go, and letting God" hits me square in the forehead. These things are not like merit badges you can sew on a cool vest when you earn them. They are things to incorporate into your life as soon as you are ready. Yes, it is difficult. No, it is not impossible. Yes, God will always be with you during the journey. No, you do not have to do it alone!

My words of encouragement for us today are: Stay the course! God will lead and guide you if you listen and trust. You can do it. God believes in you. And... so do I. ;-)


My Sunday Friend
I nicknamed the friend of the week - the mentor. The mentor is a little older than me (well, maybe not just a little...). We met about six years ago, but didn't become close friends until about three years ago, just after my breakup. We have become part of each other's core group of friends -- you know the friends that you call when something goes right or something goes wrong or just call for the heck of it. We talked and texted a few times today after we both had an interesting week.

So why do I call him the mentor? We had (and still have) very different life experiences. Our paths still crossed despite those different experiences. We found that we have some things in common, like our love for music, friends and God. While his advice about life isn't always what I need or want to hear, it is always well thought out and well intended from his vast experience of relationships. We agree to disagree on some things, which is also fine.

He has also "been there" for me when I needed friends to support me the past few years. He usually takes the time to listen if I need to talk or vent. I usually listen to him as well. The caring and support means so much to me.

We sometimes have difficulty understanding each other because of the experiences we had. That is what makes the friendship even more special -- we care enough to figure stuff out about each other. Thank you, my mentor. You mean so much to me.

Other Stuff
I thought I slacked off on Saturday, but I guess I was busier than what I thought. I slept in, which is unusual for me. Talked to a few friends. Went to Costco (I LOVE that place) and Giant Eagle. Warmed up some homemade pasta sauce for dinner (Wonderful!). I took two naps because I had to work Saturday night. I had to work A LOT Saturday night. That is OK. That is "make up" time for the hours I will miss work on Monday due to my CT scan.

In the midst of all of that, God spoke to me. I honestly believe everything will be OK. After the sensations and low-grade fever I had today, it was not easy to arrive at this belief. Repeating the theme of my Simply Saturday section yesterday -- I will believe. I will trust. I will have faith. I will have a quiet, confident joy in what God will do in my life. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment