Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Chasing the wind?

ODB.org
I talked a little about priorities in one of my weekend blogs. The idea of priorities applies not only to our personal relationships, but most importantly with our relationship with God. What kind of priority is God in your life?

There are many examples of fruitless searches: chasing the wind. Chasing your tail. Trying to find something on the Internet via a Google search...but I digress... hehehe The point of today's devotional and scripture is to know what you are chasing. Are you chasing after the best relationship with God that you can have? OR, are you chasing after the wind by pursuing all the things this world has to offer. Don't get me wrong. It is not wrong to have a good career and to make money and to enjoy life. It is wrong if you put all of those things before God.

Figure out what your priorities are. To borrow a phrase from my former employer, "chase what matters".

Wee-way-shun-ship Wednesday
What do I do if I meet someone?
I have no frickin' clue... ;-)

Here is what conventional wisdom says about dating:
*Tell him what he wants to hear
*Don't tell him too much about yourself -- retain your mystery
*Be honest -- but only to a point
*Don't be yourself -- he couldn't possibly like that
*Don't concern yourself with your needs. They are not realy that important.
*It is more important to have a man than it is to be happy.
*It is better to be with someone than to be alone.

Whoa!?! Maybe this is my problem. I am somewhat of a curmudgeon when it comes to conventional wisdom. Is that why I am still single? Here is Duane wisdom (for what it is worth):
*Be yourself -- what you see is what you get. If he is truly worth having, he will accept you and love your for who you are.

*Be honest -- always. Even it is hurts to tell the truth. Be kind. Be gentle, but be honest. This is where the Golden Rule especially applies. Wouldn't you want someone to tell you the truth?

*Be open, but not self-centered -- This goes back to the Be Yourself advice. Talk about yourself. Listen to him speak. It should be give and take when it comes to sharing. If the other person wants to share the whole time, then watch out. If he rarely asks you questions about yourself, watch out.

*You are responsible for your needs. Remember there are needs and wants. Needs are important. Wants are optional. No one person can meet all of your needs. If he doesn't try to meet any or few of your needs, then move on quickly. This will never change.

*Having someone and being happy should go hand in hand. The first rule is to be happy on your own. The second rule is that having a man in your life should augment that happiness, not detract from it. You should both try to make each other happy, but not be obsessed with it. You can't be responsibile for the other person's happiness.

*Being alone is not as bad as being in an undesirable relationship. No relationship is perfect. Being alone is not so bad when you are happy with yourself. Are there times when it sucks to be alone? I think the only time it sucks to be alone is if you are walking onto Noah's Ark. That would suck. ;-)

Lastly, know what is important to you. Forget about the things that are not really important. For me, having my special someone accept me for who I am is the most important thing. This quote by Marilyn Monroe sums it all up for me:
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

Other stuff
I got my ct scan results this afternoon. They found a small "substantive mass" (meaning solid) on my right kidney. They want to do an MRI to determine the exact nature of the mass. The doctors want to make sure that it is not a cancerous tumor or the tip of the iceberg of something growing in my kidney. I am confident things will work out for the best...That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment