Sunday, August 1, 2010

Give til it hurts...

ODB.org
I first heard the expression "give til it hurts" at church. I never really understood what that meant until I was a teenager. It wasn't just the fact that I started earning money from part-time jobs as a teenager, but a maturity thing. After I earned a few dollars a week delivering the newspaper or cleaning the floors of a used car dealer's office, I definitely didn't want to give the money away! I sometimes gave my tithe. Nothing more. It was mine. The lesson today talks about giving selflessly and anonymously. I understand that more now than ever before in my life.

This may sound odd (like nothing else on my blog has ever sounded odd!), but this blog is a way for me to give selflessly. I am giving of my self literally until it hurts. Sharing some of the things I have shared has not been comfortable or easy. As with any gift, I hope the recipients find the meaning of the gift in a personal way, like the gift of the sunflowers in the devotional.

One of the things I like about the church I attend is that I have many opportunities to give in ways I wouldn't normally think of. I am dropping off some school supplies today for needy children and some washcloths for the homeless shelter. Please consider doing the same when you have opportunities to do so.

Friend of the Week
The next friend I want to talk about I call "my voice of reason" (VoR). Oddly, we met at a bar about 9 years ago. That is odd because neither one of us likes bars that much. We were both out with friends. My ex didn't want to go out that night. VoR and I started talking, neither one of us is shy, and exchanged phone numbers. He and I had a lot in common and he sounded like he had a lot in common with my ex as well. After reassuring my ex that this could be a strong friendship, we started meeting for dinner and having each other over for drinks and dinner. Shortly after we met, VoR entered a relationship, so he and his partner quickly became our best friends in that area. We enjoyed spending time with them whenever our schedules allowed.

Over the years, VoR and I grew very close as we could talk about stuff at a very deep level. I always appreciated that very much.

VoR broke up with his partner about eight months before my break up. I am proud to say that VoR stayed in touch with me and my ex after my breakup. Even though VoR and I were both single for the first time, we knew that this deep friendship would never be anything more than that. I am very happy to say that VoR found a wonderful man and is happily partnered now. I can't express how much it means to me to have such a special man find someone special. We continue to be close friends. I don't see that ever changing. He will always be my voice of reason. We will always be the closest of friends. Thank you, VoR, for being in my life.

Other stuff
I studied for about four hours for my certification test last night. I made good progress. I will study more this afternoon and evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment