Friday, August 27, 2010

Squirrel!

ODB.org
There was a popular movie that joked about how short the attention span of the main character was -- all it took was a squirrel to run by to distract him! I have a joke with some of my friends that my attention can be diverted simply and easily by something "shiny". Shiny can be a lot of things: a new gadget, a handsome man walking by, the thought of an upcoming vacation, whatever "shiny" is to me and you.

Having our sights diverted from Jesus whenever something shiny comes along is not a good thing. I find it too often when trying to pray. My mind starts to multi-task, which I am prone to do, and my mind wanders away from my conversation with the Living God. Making God a priority in my heard AND mind is the most important lesson of all for each of us.

I also liked the example of being "stiff-necked" described in the devotional. How many times are we stiff-necked when it comes to keeping our sights on things that are not really that important? I will try to be more focused on the things that are really important. Are you with me?

Foodie Friday
The recipe this week is from my family. I had my mother show it to me when she visited me a few months ago. I don't think it is written down anywhere, so I hope my sisters and brother appreciate this. If not, I like making it from time to time. Please note this is not supposed to be authentic cuisine. It is just how my family makes this dish. After seeing what The Russian Tea Room charges for Beef Stroganoff, I would rather make it at home!

Beef Stroganoff
1 pound round steak You can use strip steak, etc., I use what I can find on sale!
1 cup all purpose flour
1 small onion, chopped
Few ounces of oil - can be olive oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, whatever
4 ounces of sour cream (or to taste)
Garlic powder (or chopped garlic if you like)
Salt
Pepper
Optional: Mushrooms (I like chopped mushrooms in mine!)
Egg noodles (probably about a 1/2 package or so)

There are two secrets to my mother's recipe -- cut the steak in very thin strips and use the oil-flour-fat from frying the steak to make the basic sauce. Cutting the steak in very thin strips allows you to use a cheaper cut of meat and still have the pieces be very tender.

Start boiling the water for the egg noodles. Add a teaspoon of the oil to the water to prevent the noodles from sticking together.

Cut the steak into very thin strips. This may take you a few minutes. Roll each slice in the flour. Place the strips in the pre-heated oil in a large frying pan on low heat. After the steak cooks, place the chopped onions (and optional mushrooms and minced garlic if you choose) in the frying pan. Cook until the onions and mushrooms are done. Season with the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir gently and let the sauce cover all the contents of the frying pan.

If you haven't already, add the noodles to the boiling water and prepare them according to the directions on the package.

Now add the sour cream to the mixture in the frying pan. Stir until the sour cream mixes evenly into the sauce and covers everything. Heat for a few more minutes, then it is ready to serve!

Drain the noodles, then place a nice portion on the center of a plate. Spoon the beef stroganoff sauce, meat, etc. over the noodles.

This recipe, with the 1/2 bag of noodles serves 2 - 4 people depending on the size of the appetites and the other things you might serve with it. I usually serve a salad and some crescent rolls with this dish.

Enjoy!

Other Stuff
I have an MRI of my right kidney scheduled this morning at 10:45. I am not sure when I will receive the results. I am concerned that they may have found something, but also concerned that it might not be what is causing the abdominal/gastric issues I have been experiencing. I will take it one day at a time. That is what I do....

No comments:

Post a Comment