Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Copies, not clones...

ODB.org
I was the oldest child of four. I had the same issue that the older brother had in today's devotional. I got copied a lot! I also found myself copying others that I admired from church and school. It is human nature.

Something that is not human nature is to copy the life of Jesus Christ. Making our nature more like His is a life-long goal. My main point today is that we are to be copies, not clones. Though some would say there is little difference between the two words, let me share my opinion. To me, clones implies something like the Start Wars movies concept of clones. Mindless beings with a single purpose that are easily controlled. I can't imagine that God would make a world full of so many different kinds of people only to have us be clones!

When someone copies another's behavior, I feel they incorporate their behavior into their own personality and being. Isn't that what Christ wants from us? To use the gifts we were given, only supercharged by His love and His Spirit? Supercharged... I like the thought of that.

We-way-shun-ship Wednesday
Alright, I finally took a few minutes to find a decent clip of the wedding scene from The Princess Bride. There are a few other little story lines going on during the wedding, so focus on the minster.

So now that you followed the do's and don'ts from last week and you have given yourself some time to grieve the loss of your relationship, what next? I want to be clear -- the advice I offered last week is not what I did after my breakup. Don't be hard on yourself if you make mistakes, and you probably will. Pick yourself up, and move on. Now.

Where do I meet people? I get asked this questions a lot since I don't seem to have too much trouble meeting guys. I joke with me best friend that the difference between us is that he meets 10 guys and maybe meets 1 nice guy. I meet a 100 guys and maybe meet 10 nice guys! I don't think its like a volume discount, so your results may vary!

Instead of rushing around trying to meet guys, turn over this process to God. What? What does God know about meeting guys? hehehe This was a shocking revelation to me as well! I am not saying to sit and home waiting for Prince Charming to arrive in a white Escalade! I mean don't "hunt" so hard that you can't be sensitive to the things around you. Find what is best for you.

For me, I gave up the online accounts. Even though I met a few nice guys, I was not meeting them consistently. There was too much temptation for meaningless relationships (translation: hookups). The relationships I did have were not "real". Online people can be whoever they want, just like we don't always portray ourselves honestly.

So where do you meet folks if not online? Try frequenting the places where you do the things you like to do! Photography club, the gym, flower club, shopping (yes, an acquaintance met his new partner at Nordy's!), the movies, wherever. I met a nice guy at a friend's cookout. Be open. Be yourself.

You might notice that I didn't say meet people "at church". I am not sure about that one. One of my minsters says "don't date within the flock". I understand why. What is the first thing that happens during an unpleasant breakup? One or both of you would probably leave the church. That is not good. If you try to meet guys at church, then be careful. Agree that church is a neutral ground regardless of what happens to the relationship.

What do I do if I meet someone? I will talk about that next week!

Other Stuff
I am very hungry since I haven't eaten solid food in over 24 hours now in preparation for my colonoscopy this morning. I plan to eat brunch/lunch at Bob Evans after it is over! Many thanks to my buddy for taking me this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment