Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Houston, we have a problem...

ODB.org
I have been listening to songs by the Newsboys on my iPod. One of my new favorites is "Your love is better than life". I didn't realize the text came from Psalm 63, the scripture passage for today's devotion. I like that psalm a lot.

Haven't we all had our "Houston, we have a problem" moments when it comes to our relationship with God? We let the gravitational pull of some lesser object pull us away from our trajectory of getting closer to God. What are some of those lesser objects? For me, it can be work, my selfish needs, the search for a relationship, or anything else that can fill my mind so I won't think about my relationship with God.

Just like the Apollo spacecraft had its procedure books, we have a book that will get us through most of the things we encounter in life -- the Bible. I have two challenges for you. First, read passages like Psalm 63 regularly to help keep you on your trajectory. Second, don't shy away from having personal talks with God. Be sure to listen as much as you talk!

We-way-shun-ship Wednesday
There are several topics I want to talk about in this section. Which one to discuss today? I think I will stick to my plan for now. I am not sure I want to talk about the hottest relationship topic in my life today. Here goes...

After the Breakup (A brief guide to your new life)
Here is a brief list of what to do and what NOT to do after your break up. We have all had at least one break up in our lives. Some are much worse than others. The list is based on my experiences, mostly with the breakup of my 11.5 year relationship that ended three years ago. I know I made some mistakes along the way. I hope you don't make the same mistakes I did.

What to do:
Treat your ex with dignity and respect, regardless of who initiated the breakup
Get some counseling from a trusted friend, minister or counselor
Work out the division of assets in a peaceful manner
Be patient if one of you has to move out
Make some changes around the house to make the place your own
Take a look at your priorities. Review your strengths and weaknesses
If you don't already, attend church. Not to meet someone new, but to get to know God
Pursue a new relationship only when you are ready. Take your time to grieve the loss.

What NOT to do:
Don't make your friends pick a side.
Don't make a scene every time you go into public
Don't brag to your friends how you just lost 250 pounds of ugly fat -- the ex...
Don't eliminate every memory of the ex
Don't break stuff. Things are too expensive to replace... ;-)
Don't keep talking about the breakup like it is a fresh wound many years afterwards.
Do not jump into a new relationship right away, no matter how perfect it may seem

I hope this helps. I will determine what to talk about next week. I had an epiphany this week about a new friendship. I might be ready to write about it next week

Other Stuff
I am somewhat humbled and embarrassed. I did not pass my certification test yesterday by the slimmest of margins. I missed passing it by one question. I usually don't review questions and change answers, so I didn't. The test had a higher percentage of obscure questions about obscure features that I didn't study that much for. I don't think I would have passed if I had studied another two weeks. I have a new study strategy now for when I retake the test. I need to find out when I can retake it. I can't remember the last time I failed an exam of any kind! Like everything else in my life, I am resilient. I will press on (no, not like those bad fake fingernails)!

1 comment:

  1. I have to disagree on breaking stuff. At least for me, it can be very rewarding. You just have to make sure that it is not something that you can't replace or is too expensive. Sometimes there is no better cure than tossing a plate across the room. I once stuck a Timex wrist watch in the wall, after it bounce off the coffee table. Boy that felt good!!! I don't punch things anymore but throwing is a good substitute.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete