Sunday, August 15, 2010

We are the Pi-rates, mighty, mighty Pi-rates...

ODB.org
No, I didn't watch a pirate movie over the weekend, though I do like pirate movies (and gladiator movies, and, whooops, I digress). In high school, our cheerleaders had a cheer like the title of today's blog. "Everywhere we go-o, people want to know-o, who we are-r, so we tell them" and they would tell them!

This is a silly segway to the devotional today entitled "Mightier than all". Regardless of how "mighty" our football team or school mascot may be, our God is mightier than all. The scripture talks about our God being "Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea— " Wow! Did you see pictures from the damage from Hurricane Katrina? Did you see the pictures of the damage from the recent flooding in China? What power water and storms have! Our God is even mightier. He reigns over all. The best part is that He cares for each of us and wants a personal relationship with us! Now that is mighty! "Our God is might-y, very, very might-y, Everywhere we go-o, people want to know-o, who HE is... So we tell them!"

Friend Sunday
My nickname for this week's friend is "The Father Unit". I started to just call him "Father Unit", but the abbreviation didn't seem quite right (think about that one...). Have you ever had a friend that you knew you would always be friends with regardless of how often you kept in touch? TFU and I were friends in college almost 30 years ago. We were roommates one semester before he left school. We were very close back then, but lost touch. Almost two years ago, we got reacquainted on Facebook (that was long before I deleted my Facebook and other online accounts). As we got reacquainted, we discovered that our lives had taken very similar roads. We were both musicians in college, but turned out to be computer guys. We were both diabetic now. We both had a lot more rings around the middle (a nice way of saying we are old and fat). We both remembered and appreciated how close we were in college.

After emailing back and forth for a few months and learning more about each other, I asked if I could visit him and his family. Yes, his family. TFU is straight, married and has two neat children. My goal was to meet the woman who finally tamed him! ;-) TFU was (and still is) quite handsome. The college girls would stop talking in mid-sentence when he would walk through the cafeteria. Noooooo, that is not why I roomed with him or wanted to be his friend again after all of these years.

The reason we are friends is that we care about each other and we can talk about stuff. My favorite part is when he cares enough to give me advice about my gay dating issues or concerns! He is very understanding and patient with my ramblings. It is very cool that we both have Dilbert kinds of jobs and can relate there as well.

I nicknamed him TFU because I admire him as a parent. I think any kid would be fortunate to have him as a father (or his wife as a mother). His children are very important to him. He is involved in their lives as much as a father should be. I am very proud of him for making and taking this path in life. He deserves all the happiness in the world. I consider myself very fortunate to call him "friend".

Other Stuff
Had a nice visit with my family yesterday . I installed a faster processor and upgraded my aunt's computer to Windows 7. That took longer than what I wanted, but it seems to work great. My two year upgrade plan for her is now complete! ;-)

I then stopped by Wooster to visit my mother. Her birthday is coming up, so we bought her the new recliner she wanted. She loved the pattern of the material. I joked with my sister that our youngest sister would have to inherit this recliner because neither of us liked it! hehehe Sorry, Sissy! We also had a nice birthday dinner at Applebees. We both like that place a lot.

After I got home, I wasn't feeling well. I took one of the new pills the doctor gave me for my stomach and laid down for a little while. Whoa. I had a hard time waking up! I woke up long enough to call into work and have my coworker take over my task for the evening, and then went back to bed. I slept comfortably through the night. I feel much better this morning. I have to feel better. I am singing at big boy church this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment