Saturday, August 14, 2010

It is definitely a mystery...

ODB.org
As the devotion today states, we have "One Mysterious God", don't we? Most folks consider me a pretty smart guy. I have NO CLUE what is going on with God most of the time! I don't really like that, but God has taught me to trust and have faith. God, please help me have more trust and more faith! Please help us all!

I will give an example of how the mysteries work out if I just pay attention. God has been leading me in a specific way with some of my personal behavior for quite a while (years actually). I disobeyed. I didn't understand His ways. I didn't trust or have faith in God to meet my needs if I didn't take care of them myself. As I started obeying and trusting and having faith, I found I have been happier in the long run. Things in my life started fitting together more than I thought possible.

Even if life had a manual to guide me, I am a guy and I probably wouldn't read it! With God, we can't necessarily RTFM. What we can do is develop a personal relationship with Him. Trust. Have faith. It all sounds so simple.... NOT!

Simply Saturday
I had an unusual experience yesterday. I volunteered to represent the GLBT group at my company's monthly diversity meeting. The theme this month is helping each other understand different faiths better so we can honor the diversity in the workplace. My favorite part was when the representative from the Jewish group looked at me and asked "Oh, you must be the Catholic guy?". I said "Not exactly". hehehe I am proud to say that I was welcomed. I was heard. A summary of my short speech is as follows: "You may ask why I am speaking here today at an Interfaith panel discussion? I am speaking for two reasons. First, topics regarding the Gay and Lesbian community can be flash points amongst people of faith. We cannot have that in the work place. Our company honors diversity and requires that we respect each other here so we can accomplish the goals of the company. Second, I can think of no better place than a body of people of faith to ask for the prayers, regardless of your realm of belief, for the Gay and Lesbian folks in the world. While there are many that have found faith, there are many more who have not. Many feel they are not welcome in any religion or body of faith. Please remember them in your prayers." I was very, very proud to be there. I hope God was pleased as well.

Other Stuff
I had a great time hanging out at Easton last night. Had some very good happy hour margaritas with a buddy at Abuelos, did a little window shopping and saw the movie The Expendables. I will write about that on Movie Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment