Thursday, August 26, 2010

Older AND better!

OK, let's say it all together -- "I really needed this devotional today". It always amazes me that I think this. I hope you don't get tired of me saying it.

The devotional sums up what I have been writing about the past few weeks -- I want to get better. I want to be a better person. Be a better husband. Be a better friend. Be a better follower of Christ. I need to put the appropriate time and resources into making this happen. I also need to be patient sometimes and wait for God to speak.

"You are not getting older -- you are getting better" is not just some advertising slogan. It should be the journey we are on for a lifetime. We can do it. I believe in you. Make it so...

Technology Thursday
I love writing about this stuff! I am writing about home theater stuff today. What is a home theater? It is the combination of a TV, audio system and video player technology. This can be a combination of several things. I talked about the TV and DVD technologies as two of the possible pieces the past two weeks in an effort to keep things simple.

Once you have the right TV and the right DVD or Bluray player, please consider finishing the home theater setup with the right audio setup! This will give you the best overall experience when watching DVDs or when watching HD (high definition) TV. Yes, you can play HD TV through your home theater as well! Most folks don't realize that HD TV also has HD sound! I may have to talk about that as a separate topic one week. But I digress...

A home theater audio system can take many forms. If you want to keep things simple, you can purchase a home theater system that has the DVD or Bluray integrated into the receiver/amplifier. I recommend that for beginners. Even the simple integrated systems can cost a little (like $200 - $400) or a LOT (the Bose systems can cost thousands!). These systems have the DVD, amplifier and speakers in a set. The most difficult part for you is hooking stuff up and placing your speakers in the best places. Stores like Best Buy have home theater folks that will set this stuff up for you for a price. Consider this if you have no idea what you are doing.

I pieced together my home theater over the years. I use mostly Sony components, though my speakers and subwoofer are different brands. This works for me as I can customize how much I want to spend on different pieces to get the sound I want. I LOVE watching HD TV with the surround sound!

Downsides? Well, having a home theater can mean have LOTS more remotes! I have most of mine consolidated for daily use. I still have to juggle three remotes when I watch a Bluray. I haven't combined all of my stuff into one remote yet. Remotes are a whole 'nother party! Can you I love this stuff!

I hope you find this useful. I plan to enjoy watching and hearing the Buckeyes kick butt this fall in HD and surround sound!

Other stuff
{In case you didn't see this late yesterday afternoon} I got my ct scan results Wednesday afternoon. They found a small "substantive mass" (meaning solid) on my right kidney. They want to do an MRI to determine the exact nature of the mass. The doctors want to make sure that it is not a cancerous tumor or the tip of the iceberg of something growing in my kidney. I am confident things will work out for the best...That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment