Sunday, August 8, 2010

Ewwww! Bugs!

ODB.org
I find stories like the plagues of Egypt, the testing of Job, the calling of Moses, some of the most interesting writings of the Old Testament. Most human beings like to compare their lives to the lives of others as a barometer of how difficult their lives are (like my opinion on reality TV...).

We have a choice of how to react when gnats, sickness, or other trials come our way. The things that happen to us are not always cause and effect based. Nor are they punishments or tests handed down by God. Many times "stuff" just happens. In a recent sermon, my minister used the term "Manure happens". hehehe

So what are our choices? The devotional today talks about NOT hardening your heart when things don't go your way. Use everything that happens in your life, good or bad or in between, to draw you closer to God. After all the things I have been through the past three years, my new favorite word is "resiliency". ;-) When comparing my life to others, and we all compare at times, I have had more than my share of blessings and trials. Resiliency and faith enabled me to move forward. That is my prayer for you.

Friend of the week
My friend of the week is my ex. I met him at a bar in Louisville, Kentucky on a night that neither one of us planned to be out. He was in town for a convention. I was delivering some stuff to the other members of the bear club that were out that night. I was talking to some friends, and saw him from across the room. One friend in particular remembers the look on my face when I saw the ex for the first time. Have you ever seen the movie "Wayne's World"? Remember the scene when Wayne sees his love interest for the first time? Remember the song "Dreamweaver"? BINGO! I saw him talking with some mutual friends. They offered to introduce me after telling me some things about him. Those of you that know me realize I don't need someone to introduce me! I am not a shy person.

After meeting and spending some time together that weekend, we started talking every day. He lived in a small town about an hour or so away from Louisville. The following weekend we both blew off our plans and spent the weekend together. We started saying the "L" word (no, it was not "lesbian") that weekend. I don't consider myself the kind of person that falls in love at first sight. It happened. What can I say?

The ex and I spent 11.5 years together. I learned a lot of stuff during my time with him. Things about myself. Things about cooking, cleaning, decorating, music, the list goes on an on. He is a very talented man in so many ways.

So the question that I still get asked three years after our breakup "What happened? You both seemed so happy." I take the blame for the failure of the relationship. Yes, we could have gone on like we were, but the happiness would have become a facade for what was really going on inside of me. The kind of love we had was intense, but it was not the kind of love to last for a lifetime. I wanted better for me. More importantly, I wanted better for him. It took all of my strength to initiate a cowardly breakup and then stick to the decision.

I wish him well. He deserves all the happiness in the world. The things I miss the most are the red velvet cakes and special times around the holidays with him and his family. Good times...

Other Stuff
I have my dinner group tonight! Yeah! We are meeting at Scooter's house (not her real name, it is a joke) for a cookout.

I am not sure what this week will reveal. I will write more about the stuff going on as it happens. As always, I remain positive and excited about the things that are going on in my life and the lives of my friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment