Monday, August 16, 2010

It seems so simple...

It seems so simple: "A new command I give you: Love one another. " John 13:34. My minister told a story yesterday about a golden retriever that joined her group in the park for Bible study! At the end of the story, the owner of the dog said "I have never met nice Christians before..." Wow... We have a new command that is just a few words, but takes a lifetime to learn and execute!

The Holy Spirit has been convicting me of this A LOT over the past few years. God has been refining my mind and heart using what the scripture calls "a refiner's fire" burning away the stuff that doesn't need to be there like selfishness, unloving attitude, and judgmental attitude. Through each thing I experienced the past few years, both good and not so good, God has been removing the "dross". I ask your prayers and your consideration as we all think about loving each other as Christ loved us.

Movie Monday
I saw two movies this weekend -- one while relaxing Friday night and one when I couldn't nap on Sunday afternoon. :-(

I saw The Expendables Friday night. This movie isn't so bad after having a couple of margaritas at happy hour. OK, I have to be honest. It still sort of sucked when it comes to dialog and plot and whatever else a movie is supposed to have to be "good"! It did have some cool action scenes that I enjoyed. Lots of "OH, we are men, so let's blow stuff up!" action... The plot centered around this group of elite soldiers performing an impossible mission. You will have to see it or rent it to see if they succeeded! The movie centered around Stallone and Statham. There was a little action from the other guys, but not as much. Bruce Willis was almost non-existent in the movie. Oh well. I give this movie 1 paw, mainly because I thought the action scenes were sort of cool.

The other movie was "The kids are fine". I noticed this movie in the listings, but wasn't aware of the plot until some friends from church told me about it. It is about a lesbian couple that have two children from an anonymous sperm donor. When the kids reached a certain age, they got curious about their biological father. Lots of things happen after they start their relationship with him. Mark G. was the biological father. Grrrrr! It was very nice seeing him with his shirt off! Sorry, I digress... I liked the movie because it showed how this non-traditional family reacted to the stresses of family crises. It was sort of long, or just seemed that way. I give it two paws for the acting and seeing Mark G. without his shirt...

Other Stuff
The mens trio I sang in yesterday morning went very well in my opinion. I felt God used the hymn "It is well with my soul" to speak to some folks. That is the most important thing. I am glad I sang half-way decent. That is a good thing since singingin church is important to me. ;-)

I wanted to take a nap Sunday afternoon, but could NOT sleep. I went to a movie instead (see above). I have a busy week planned. I will see where it takes me! Friday is a special day. Not sure what that day will bring either!

No comments:

Post a Comment