Friday, August 13, 2010

Speed limits are for chumps....

Speed limits are for chumps... Aren't they "guidelines' and not really limits or laws? Are they like my credit cards where I can get my limit raised with a simple request? hehehe "Freedom" talks about being free in Christ through obeying the laws of man, like the speed limit or paying taxes, AND freedom through obeying God by loving others. Sounds like quite a combination, doesn't it?

The author's wife relished the fact that she didn't need a radar detector when she drove the speed limit. She didn't need to slow down when she saw a highway patrolman. I wonder if we could invent a "you are not loving like God wants you to" detector? It would warn you to beware when you aren't being patient or looking out for other folks (like when the person in front of you on the highway is driving the speed limit!). I wouldn't have to change my behavior when I see one of my ministers behind me in line at the grocery or when they see me "sharking" for a parking place at the mall during the Christmas rush. I wouldn't act differently when I wear my church tshirt compared when I don't wear my church tshirt (because you always have to be nicer when wearing the church tshirt!).

Freedom is not doing what you want. Freedom is doing what you should and enjoying it!

Foodie Friday
Here is my version of the dark chocolate cake I made for my dinner group last month. MmmMMmmm... I used a different recipe for the frosting than what I found with the cake site. The frosting was so rich, I only frosted in between the layers and the top of the cake. I did not frost the sides.

CAKE: For the cake I used a chocolate fudge cake mix. I added 1 tsp of almond extract to the batter along with the vanilla.

Ingredients:
1 box devil’s food cake mix
1 small box Jello instant chocolate pudding mix (not the sugar or fat free kind!)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp almond extract (if desired)

All you do is dump everything except the chocolate chips into a very large bowl– A 4 qt bowl is good, but one of those 8 cup mixing bowls is too small! — then mix well with a beater. The batter will be thick! Then take your 2 cups of chocolate chips– you can use regular size chips or mini chips. Bake in two 9 in pans. Add about 8 - 10 minutes to the cake mix baking time. Check doneness using a toothpick.

Here is the URL for the recipe: http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dessert/the-best-chocolate-cake.html

FROSTING: My cake had two batches of frosting, so double this recipe if you liked that amount. I followed the recipe and added one tsp of almond extract per batch. When I make it again, I will probably use 1/2 tsp per batch. You can use whatever amount you like or leave it out. For the cocoa, I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa available at most grocery stores.

BASIC BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

INGREDIENTS

* 2 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
* 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
* 6 tablespoons butter
* 5 tablespoons evaporated milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (if desired)

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium bowl, sift together the confectioners' sugar and cocoa,
and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter until smooth, then gradually beat in
sugar mixture alternately with evaporated milk. Blend in vanilla.
Beat until light and fluffy. If necessary, adjust consistency with more milk or sugar.


Other Stuff
Busy weekend planned. Relaxing tonight. Visiting family on Saturday. Working Saturday night. Singing at church on Sunday morning. Looking forward to relaxing and reading on Sunday afternoon/evening. I may sneak off to the movies sometime to see The Expendables. I got a little confused at first. I thought the movie was about my pants (The ExPANDables...). Oh well. I am such a silly bear sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment