Friday, March 23, 2012

High salt diet...

Our Daily Bread
I love going to Costco!  The problem is that I live by myself.  I sometimes waste stuff because I can't use the large package of whatever before it expires or goes bad.  To go along with today's lesson, I have a large bottle of Lawry's Seasoned Salt that needs to go in the garbage.  It lost its flavor (and sort of lost its color too!).  Yikes! What a waste!

The devotional talks about how Christians are the salt of the earth.  We are to be seasoning the world with God's love and mercy through our words and deeds.  What happens with salt (or seasoned salt) when it loses it "saltiness"?  It gets thrown out!  Don't be thrown out!  hehehe

Lord, help us recognize our responsibility to be salt and a witness on this earth.

Foodie Friday
I have been looking for other ways to incorporate quinoa into my diet.  I had an idea to use it in meatloaf with ground turkey.  I did a Google search and found this recipe.  I plan to try it this weekend.

Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon water

DIRECTIONS:
1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
4. Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet. Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Rub the paste over the top of the meatloaf.
5. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.


Other Stuff
I filled the antibiotic prescription yesterday afternoon since I wasn't feeling much better the past few days.  I could feel it working on me by early evening.  That is the good news.  The bad news is that it made me hyper and I couldn't go to sleep until 2:00 am.  I didn't sleep very after that either.  I am staying home from work today.  I didn't want to take the antibiotic unless I had to because of the gastric side effects.  Ewwww....  I do feel a little better this morning, but very tired from not getting enough sleep.  I don't feel as week in the legs as I did this week.  I miss working out.  I haven't felt like doing any physical activity since Tuesday.  I will take it easy today and workout tomorrow morning.

Go, Bucks!  My team lost its way the beginning of the second half, but decided to play the last ten minutes of the game to win!  We play Syracuse in the Regional final on Saturday.  It will be an interesting game!

I am having a FOGG (Fabulous older gay guys) social at my house tonight from 6 - 9.  Should be fun.  Not sure how many folks will show up.

Going to the dinner and movie night with the Bears group tomorrow night.  I bought my ticket to see The Hunger Games.  Should be interesting.

I am helping a friend show a house on Sunday.  I helped her a couple of times before.

Back to bed now.  I will try to get laundry done today if I can.

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment