Monday, March 5, 2012

Listen and learn

Our Daily Bread
I don't have any children, but I have many friends that do.  One of the common arguments they have with their teenagers is "well, you did it when you were a teenager!".  Parents try to help children learn from the mistakes they made in their teenage years.  Teenagers don't always listen.  They want to "experience life" for themselves.  That is not always a good thing!

The devotional today talks about a criminal that tried to deter others from entering a life of crime, to learn from the mistakes he made.  It references Proverbs 4:10-19 as the scripture passage.  Verse 10 builds on the commandment to honor thy father and mother:
"Listen, my son, accept what I say,
   and the years of your life will be many."

How many times did our parents (are our parents) trying to teach us something?  Do we always listen?  Even more important, how many times has God tried to teach us something, either through his Word or through a friend or minister, that we may or may not listen?

Lord, help us to always listen to your words, regardless of the sources, so that we may live life abundantly in you!

Movie Monday
I got to see two movies last week: Act of Valor and Journey 2 the Incredible Island.

Act of Valor
This movie is billed as some realistic reenactments of actual Navy SEAL missions and activities around the world.  The action scenes are as cool as any I have seen on a movie screen because of that reason.  They are based on history, not fiction.

I was a little confused about whether or not the characters were actors or real SEALs.  I heard both things.  Considering one of the SEALs dies, I assumed that one was an actor!  I recommend seeing this movie to get a better understanding of the incredible things our soldiers do for us!

I give this movie two bear paws, mainly for the real story lines.

Journey 2 the Incredible Island 3D
Seeing this movie with my mother and sister was one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time.  They hadn't been to a 3D movie in a while, so they were surprised by the stuff flying out of the screen at them!  It was a hoot!  The movie itself was OK.  Very predictable, but nice.  Fun, fantasy stuff.  The 3D effects were pretty cool.

I give this movie two bear paws.  See it in 3D at the theater while you can.

Other Stuff
I had a nice Sunday.  Church was great.  I met up with a church buddy to buy an old laptop off of him.  I don't need to buy a new one now!  That saved me several hundred dollars!  Woohooo!  I rested and did some things around the house when I got home.  I watched the OSU-MSU game with some friends.  It was a wild game!  We yelled and hollered like college students!  OSU won with a last second shot in an exciting finish.

I figured out what the problem was with my extra PC.  I had an extra video card, so I replaced it to get the PC up and running again.  Whew!  I will probably get a real video card for it that fits right.  I rigged one up that didn't really fit right.  It is just an extra PC for guests and some testing.  No need to max out the machine.  I plan to stop by Microcenter (or check online) for the best deal I can find on an SSD (solid state drive) for the laptop.  That will dramatically improve the performance to an acceptable level so I can use the laptop for a few years.  I can live with that.  ;-)

I also installed the Windows 8 beta on a virtual desktop on my computer.  It is weird.  Not sure I like it at all.  I will read more about it and play with it as I have time.

I had some nice conversations with mi tigre.  I like that man.  ;-p

I ate too much last night.  I will do better today.  I am eating dinner with my walking buddy and her husband tonight.  That will be fun.

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment