Friday, March 16, 2012

Planning ahead

Our Daily Bread
As I have mentioned in this blog several times, I am a planner.  I plan things.  I like to have goals and plans so I have direction and can accomplish things.  It is what I do!

The parable from today's devotional sounds at first reading that planning is not good.  I didn't like that!  hehehe The man had an abundant crop, so he planned ahead by building bigger store houses to store the surplus so he could live a comfortable life.  God demanded his life that night and his planning was for naught.  That is a planner's nightmare -- planning being for naught!

I finally started to understand from the devotional, and in my own life, that the planning part of the parable is not the root cause of the issue.  The man left God out of the equation.  I find sometimes that planning and being sensitive to God's leading can sometimes be in conflict.  That is frustrating for me at times.  What do I do?  I try to plan the things that I know God wants me to do like attending church, participating in a Bible study, singing in the choir, etc.  I can also plan to leave time open for God's leadership and listening to God.  That is a good thing!

Lord, help us making planning a way to serve you better, not shut you out!

Foodie Friday
I like eating quinoa since I discovered it a few weeks ago.  I enjoyed the quinoa breakfast recipe and ate it a few times this week.  I also made the quinoa bites.  Very tasty.  I mentioned to a friend at work about it and we talked about recipes.  I found this one for a very low fat chili made with quinoa.  You can make it in a crock pot or on the stove top.Enjoy!


Easy Healthy Vegetarian Recipe: Vegan Quinoa Chili

Our quinoa chili is so good, maybe you should double the recipe, or you'll be sad there isn't any leftover. If you're cooking for one, then this chili recipe might be enough.

Total Prep And Cook Time: 60 Minutes

6 Servings

Nutrition Data, 194g Serving: 227 cal, 39g carb, 4g fat, 183mg sodium, 8g fiber, 11 g protein, low Cholesterol, good source Vit C, Folate. Estimated Glycemic Load 17

Ingredients:

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
3 cups water or bean cooking liquid
1 1/2 cup cooked kidney beans (1 can, drained and rinsed)
1 1/2 cup cooked black beans (1 can, drained and rinsed)
1 cup unsalted tomato sauce OR: 1/4 cup unsalted tomato paste + 3/4 cup water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 celery stalk, diced
1 Tbsp (2 - 3 cloves) minced garlic
2 Tbsp minced jalapeño pepper
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced

1 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp gr coriander
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried basil leaf
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaf
1/2 tsp dried marjoram leaf
1/8 - 1/4 tsp chipotle pepper powder
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp light molasses
1 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos, or soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
More Heat: Add more chile powder

Stovetop Directions:


  1. Soak the quinoa 5 minutes
  2. Rinse, then drain into a colander
  3. If using canned beans, drain into a colander and rinse well
  4. Peel & mince the garlic and jalapeño pepper
  5. Dice the onion
  6. Wash and trim the celery, slice lengthwise, then crosswise to dice
  7. Seed and dice the red and green pepper
  8. Heat the oil on medium-high in a dutch oven or large sauce pan
  9. Fry the garlic, jalapeno, onion and celery until soft (about 5 minutes)
  10. Add the peppers and fry 5 minutes
  11. Add the spices and herbs, stir 2 minutes
  12. Add the beans, water or bean liquid, molasses, tomato sauce, and quinoa
  13. Bring to boil, cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked
  14. Stir in Braggs or soy sauce, and pepper. Adjust seasonings
  15. Serve garnished with cilantro

Optional: Add a dollop of dairy or non-dairy sour cream to each bowl

Crockpot Directions:


  1. Sauté jalapeno, garlic, celery, and peppers in oil for 5 minutes on med-high
  2. Add spices and herbs, stir 2 minutes
  3. Combine with water, tomato sauce, salt, quinoa and beans in a 6 qt crockpot
  4. Cover and cook on low for 5 - 6 hours
  5. Add Braggs or soy sauce, molasses, pepper
  6. Serve garnished with chopped clilantro and sour cream (optional)

Cooking Tips:

You can use any combination of beans you like in quinoa chili, although we thought it was perfect with a mixture of kidney beans and black beans. One or the other would be good too.

We used canned tomato sauce, but tomato paste and-or fresh tomatoes would also work. We like the Amore brand that comes in a tube - we got tired of throwing out almost-full cans of tomato paste.

This chili recipe only takes about 1/2 hour to cook on the stove, or 5 - 6 hours in a crockpot or slow cooker. If you need to be away longer, a digital timer is handy & inexpensive. Then your chili can be ready to eat when you are.

Serve with fresh cilantro as garnish. Add a dollop of dairy or non-dairy sour cream if you like.


Other Stuff
I ran a few errands last night and then went to my walking buddy's house for supper.  She needed some help with her computer.  I did a few things on it to help speed it up.  I think she is comparing it to her new laptop that is much faster.  She also has much faster access to the Internet at work.  Oh well.

Choir practice was OK.  I was feeling well last night and was in a bad mood.  Whew....

I heard from the Groupon gym contact.  I plan to attend a workout class tomorrow.

I am redeeming another Groupon today as The Ohio Door Guys will service my garage door this evening.

AND, there is that little thing about my new iPad arriving today!  Woohooo!  ;-)

I also got to talk to mi tigre for a few minutes yesterday.  We were both busy most of the day.

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment