Saturday, November 27, 2010

Am I going to be tested on this?

Our Daily Bread
The devotional today was another one of those "oh, that is nice. Someone will get a lot out of this (but not me)" devotions! hehehe You know how those usually end up for me! I get more out of them than many other days!

The two main things I got out of the devotional are: trust God all the time and look forward to life and the afterlife. I thought it was amazing that the sports caster wanted to talk about his relationship with God instead of talking about his "no ordinary life". Wow! It would have been so easy to yearn for the good, old days. The second message was from the scripture about whether to leave this body for heaven or to stay and do more work for Christ. Wow! I thought that was cool as well.

Lord, help us spend our days doing your work knowing that we have a wonderful place to rest for eternity.

Simply (sore) Saturday
This verse spoke to me in a different way today: 2 Corinthians 5:8 "Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord." I would rather be away from this earthly body today. Ouch! I hurt both knees when I fell at Target yesterday. The left knee is sore, but not in too bad of shape. The right knee is a different story. I can walk on it, but that is about it. It is stiff, it doesn't bend easily and trying to rest on that knee to put up Christmas decorations hurts like heck. I will call the doctor later this morning. Did I mention ouch?

God told me that I would have something odd happen to me before the end of the year. I thought it was going to be another eye issue. The eyes aren't in great shape, but I am getting by. I plan to get glasses so I can see better. I am not happy about that, but it is what it is.

I think the knee problem will be a big challenge for me. Things have been going very smoothly for me since I made the promise to "be upbeat and steady". It is time to be tested. Having knee surgery on my right knee, if required, would be quite a challenge for me. I saw what kind of challenge it was (and is) for my mother since she had her knee surgery last Friday. I will blog about my diagnosis and the experience if it happens.

God is also working with me about being strong enough to break my relationship patterns of the past. We identified them over the past three years. I recognize the behaviors. I need to adjust my behaviors accordingly. Some examples:
1. I will be more "friend-like" instead of a longing ex-boyfriend for Ying. We still talk too intimately at times. That is inappropriate.
2. I will not flirt with my new buddy. We are becoming close friends. Nothing romantic. Not friends with benefits.
3. I will not display anger and angst towards Yang. I figured out that at this point in our usual pattern that I start asking "What are we?" I wrote about that question a few months ago on Wee-way-shun-ship Wednesday if you remember. In the past, I would not get the answer I wanted, so I would get angry and make Yang angry in the process. Not good. I don't have to ask the question this time around. I know the answer. We are close friends who are trying to find God's will for our relationship. That is enough for me. Being in his life, regardless of how big or small the role, is enough for me now.

I remember in school that I asked this question a lot: "Am I going to be tested on this?" If the material was important for me to learn, the professor would say "Yes, of course". I am asking God the question that any human would about life lessons: "Am I going to be tested on this?". It is important to learn and practice all the lessons that God teaches us. It is important to study. It is important to get tested. We may not always pass the tests, but we keep studying and learning and moving forward. We CAN pass the tests with the power of God energizing our lives and subduing our stubborn wills. We CAN live a victorious life. A life where we don't know what we want to do more -- be in heaven with God or continue the honor of serving him in this world.

I will be upbeat and steady. This is not a Thomas the Train "I think I can, I think I can" statement. This is a "with the power of God, I can stand in his glory and be the kind of man he wants me to be". In Christ alone will I glory...

Hang in there, my friends. I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment